Lenght / Height of Redfishers? (Garage)

LarryH

My 18' Redfisher is 23' long on the trailer with the engine down, and the tongue folded over, or 25' long with the tongue extended. My poling platform is ~84" tall from the ground while on the trailer. I had to buy a 18" drop hitch and turn it upside down to raise the front of my boat higher, which lowered the stern and platform to get it into my garage door. Otherwise it was too tall to get thru the garage door. On the road, I use a regular non-drop hitch.

If have a late 2014 18 and just measured in the garage.  The length with the motor down and 2" from the back wall measured to the front of the folded tongue is 20'9" leaving about 6" to the closed garage door.  The top of the poling platform is 81" with the trailer leveled to get the lowest profile.  I dont know why my numbers are so different than MA's unless his is an older model, but I measured twice to be sure after I reread his post.

Thanks all for the info. The differance in length on the two examples I'm guessing is trailer or trailer setup?

Please add if you have additional info. 

I'm in process of a new home build. Current planing a 22'W x 24'L attached garage (exterior dimensions). If I go with 2x6 wall construction, and with the new required garage door, I'll be left with approx. 23' inside length. A little more length with 2x4 walls.

The other consideration is 8'H garage door vs 7'H door. There are savings going w/ the 7 footer. And the 7'er may be more aesthetically / architecturally pleasing. (I won't live in the house forever and must be budget conscious)

:)

Rechecked mine, length is ~23" with tongue folded. I have a 2014 Redfisher with a Yamaha 150. The difference in lengths could be trailer and or my engine is larger in physical size.

P.S. Go with the taller garage door if you can, you won't regret it.

• 1 month later...

As I've been educated...

Add 2 foot to boat length for motor. Add 3 feet to boat length for trailer tongue (or not with swing tongue) [Amertrail trailer]

If my math is correct:

RF16 = 16'-5". Storage length = 18'-5" with swing tongue. 21'-5" with fixed tongue.

RF18 = 18'-10". Storage length = 20'-10" w/ swing tongue. 23'-10" w/ fixed tongue.

I've decided to go with an additional 2' to the garage (making it 26' long, approx. 25' inside). and the 8' tall OHD. This way I'm ok if I go with the RF18 and a fixed tongue.

1 hour ago, 2000 RF 16 said:

Check the width of your trailer. My RF 16 trailer does not fit in a 8' wide garage door.

Good point. I currently have an 8'x16' OHD. New home will have the same. 

Still requires I move the wife's suv from garage before backing in. 

Archived