New Redfisher 18 SHO115 or 150?

Dobey1

As an old PF owner I find myself coming back to the force of MBC and back to this site again looking for help. It's been a while and glad to be back here. You guys always offer real world info and No BS.

So, on to the subject. I'm in the market for a New Redfisher and need some feed back from owners or past owners. What motor should I go with SHO 115 or 150? I like the pros of each. At first I was sold on the 115 now I keep thinking 150. Any feed back is welcome from those who own a new CAD hull or older styles too. Pros cons, fuel burn and such. This info with would be very helpful to me. As soon as my current skiff finds a new home a Redfisher is on the way.

Thank you in advance.

I have a friend with the same boat with the 115, it runs great, puts the boat on a plane quickly. Top end is in mid 40's with 4 blad prop.  Obviously the 150 would be faster. I'd say the 115 is lighter, more fuel efficient, and very adequate for the boat..........the 150 is much faster ( probably 7 to 10 mph faster), little heavier on the transom, and drinks more fuel. I guess it boils down to how fast you want to go and how much $$ do you want to spend. Tough choice............ I had a PF 2400v with F250, now have PF 2200XL with F150, it's definitely slower but handles great...but, there's no comparison to the fuel consumption. If you fish a lot, you will notice the extra fuel $$.

I have an 07 18' RF and I've got the F115. The motor gets the does the job and has good MPG qualities, but if I had to do it over again I would opt for the F150 or even better would be going back to a 2 stroke, but I got a deal on the boat that I could not refuse, so I took it as is. My only major complaint about the 115 is the hole shot but in the winter I will opt for a different prop and port it and I think the hole shot should improve slightly. I thought I read that MBG moved the fuel tank to help with the squatting, but I can say that I have seen the mid 2000's Hewes with the 150 and it does squat quite a bit. Currently with a PT SCD17 I get 6k RPM @ 42 MPH with favorable seas and weather, 3/4 tank, light gear, 2 people. Getting 6.5-7  MPG at 3500 RPM @ 24-27 MPH depending on sea conditions. 

I love the boat. 

Here is the beauty. This is my first MBG. I came from an older AC and the Hewes is so much better. The layout, storage and stability is great. Im still getting familair with the boat being I just got it in March, but feel free to hit me up with any questions. I enjoy helping and this forum has been GREAT

Hewes.JPG

Definitely go with the 150.  Know one ever says "I wish my boat had less power", but you do hear "I wish I had more".  I don't think MPG's should play a factor. It's a boat and no boat gets good MPG's.  For me cruise speed is a big deal. 115 cruising at 30. 150 cruising at 40. I'll take 40. 

IMO, If you fish alone or with one other person the 115 will be adequate for your needs. On the other hand if you run with 2-4 people and are a live bait fisherman and keep your livewell  or release well full then you would be better off with more power. Just because you have the 150 does do mean that you have to run wide open everywhere.

Have you looked at the fuel burn numbers on both engines at cruise speeds?

20 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

Definitely go with the 150.  Know one ever says "I wish my boat had less power", but you do hear "I wish I had more".  I don't think MPG's should play a factor. It's a boat and no boat gets good MPG's.  For me cruise speed is a big deal. 115 cruising at 30. 150 cruising at 40. I'll take 40. 

x2, just think you would be happier in the long run, jmo, fin

I would also go with the 150.  I'd rather have more power when needed, plus the motor isn't working as hard running mid-40's.  While not a deal-breaker, I do think that resell would be better with the higher HP also (not that we ever plan to sell our boats, but it happens).

I have an 18 Redfisher with a Yamaha 150 4-stroke, and couldn't be happier. Once you put a trolling motor on, some trolling motor batteries, a buddy or two, it will quickly overload a 115. You'll burn less fuel because the bigger engine doesn't have to work as hard. boat%20Stuff%20019-L.jpgBigger is better on boats 

• 3 weeks later...

I have on 03 18' redfisher and just repowered with a new merc 115 four stroke.  Tops out at 43.5, up on plane with a med load in two boat lengths and sips fuel.  Granted I don't have power poles, trolling motors and only two batteries but compared to the 2003 115 merc four stroke I had, it's leaps and bounds better.  It's also about 40 lb lighter than my old motor and 2.1 L vs 1.7  I'm running a 4 blade powertech 17 and can bounce of the rev limiter with a light load and aired out.  With a 19 i'd probably pick up a few mph but worried my hole shot would suffer.  Next time I have an extra $450 laying around I'll probably pick one up for longer runs to keep the revs a little lower.  At 43 and aired out the boat gets squirrelly quick when you hit some unexpected waves.  I couldn't imagine what it would be like at 53 but if I'd had an extra 3k it might have been an option.  I know everyone loves the motor they have, just sharing my experience.

Archived