Pathfinder 2200v 200HP Vmax Overheating

JAMES

I recently purchased a used 2002 2200v with a 200HP vmax and have had an overheating issue since day one.  There were never any obstructions on the water pick up, and  water would consistently flow from the pisser even when the overheating alarm would come on, but I started with the obvious by replacing the impeller, and thermostats hoping for a cheap fix.  This did not  solve the issue.  After running several sea trials I noticed that the slightest turn of the boat, or minimal trimming would cause a "blow out" (rpms would increase, but speed would decrease) and it sounded like I was sucking more air than water.  I would also get the same "blow out" phenomenon if I moved the jackplate up at all while cruising.  This problem led me to the prop, which was over pitched (13-3/4 x 22), and caused me to give the boat a lot of throttle for minimal RPM, it was giving me the feeling like I was pulling a heavy trailer up a steep hill.  I determined that the combination of putting strain on the engine with an over pitched prop  and easily sucking air "blowing out" was making the engine overheat.  I changed the prop to a quicksilver 4 blade (14.6 x 19) and the boat ran significantly better, I was able to corner, and trim the boat properly, and it was blowing out much less often.  This past weekend though, I went on a relatively lengthy run, and as soon as I hit any sort of chop the boat would again give me the "blow out" phenomenon, every bump I hit the rpms would jump 300 or so, and I would hear air being sucked in.  It didn't overheat right away but after about 15 min I got the alarm.

My next move is a low water pick up, but i just wanted to see if anyone else has had any similar issues before I throw any more money at this.

You seem to have two different issues......overheating and prop ventilation.  I'm not sure one has anything to do with the other.  If you are running and seeing a good stream of water coming out of the pee hole, it sounds like you have good water flow.  Are you sure the motor is actually overheating?  If the thermostat is opening to allow flow in the powerhead, then there shouldn't be any overheating, unless you have an obstruction in the water passages in the powerhead.  Checking your temperatures around the powerhead while running should be easy with a IR heat sensing thermometer.  Could you have a bad temp sensor?  Or a bad temp alarm?   If you are a little overpropped, it's certainly not enough to cause an overheat situation.  I had a Yamaha Reliance 3 blade, 13 3/4 X 19 on my 2007, 2200V with an F150 with no problems, until I put a 6 inch jack plate on.  I had to go to a 4 blade prop with the jack plate because of ventilation.  A Low water pickup would be an "extreme" solution, expensive, and not necessary, in my opinion.    Is your motor mounted in the top hole, Ie, the motor mounted in the lowest position?  You didn't mention your motor height.  You are definitely catching air by the way you describe running in chop and having the rpms jump.  Let us know what hole your motor is mounted in, and where your cavitation plate is when you are running.    You can take a picture of your cavitation plate on the trailer in relation to the hull, and post here for more comments and suggestions.  You also didn't mention your max rpm range with the old and new props.  That would be helpful.   I would definitely hold off going to a low water pickup for now!!!!!

Sounds to me that you are running motor to high, I have the same boat and motor and run a 4 blade 20" power tech . I have no blowout issues unless I run jackplate to high. In my opinion that could also cause overheat issues especially after you go over wakes it *** air. What jackplate and height are you using?

Thanks for the response.  I believe the alarm and gauge are both working correctly because as soon as I get the alarm I've seen steam coming from the cowling.  As far as I can see the engine is mounted as low as it can be, but I will add some pics to make sure.  The original 22 pitch prop would only max rpm at around 4500, on the new 19 pitch I've gotten it as high as 5300.  With the new prop it cruises at about 3500 rpm (31mph).  I feel like the motor needs to be an inch or two lower to solve the problem, but from what I can see there is no way of getting any lower.

Again thanks for the input.

Definitely something strange going on here.  Is your original 22" prop a 3 blade or 4 blade?  You see gambler running a 4 blade 20" prop, and even though he didn't mention his top rpm range, he must be in the proper range.  4500 rpms with your 22" prop is WAY low (you must have the engine trim all the way down, because to only turn 4500 rpms, it certainly isn't catching air!)  Either it is a 4 blade, or the prop had been monkeyed with (bunch of cup added, or pitch added, or both, etc.)

Did you sea trial the boat, and if so, with the 22" prop?  4500 max on the rpms shouldn't have passed the sea trial.  You should get to 5500-5700 rpms without having to trim or jack the motor any. 

Sounds like the motor is too high, how much setback on the jackplate. Have you checked/cleaned the poppit valve? If nothing else, might wanna pull the heads and look at the water jackets. Maybe install a water pressure gauge.

Agree with above, ventilation and overheat two different issues. That said a big prop straining the motor could increase chance of overheat, but the overheat cause would be something wrong in the cooling system. 

Long story short, I never did an initial sea trial because there was water in the lower unit, and I didn't want to risk causing further damage to it.  I tried to re gasket the original lower unit but I couldn't pull the casing because it was to corroded.  I ended up putting on a new factory lower unit.  Is it possible that something in the new lower unit is causing excess strain on the engine?  nothing with the lower unit has ever seemed out of sorts.  I changed the lower unit oil after about 10 hours of break in and it appeared to have a normal amount of metal shavings on the magnetic seal bolt.  

I will say, even with the new 19 pitch prop, if I'm trimmed all the way down I believe I can only get to around 4800 - 5000 rpm's max, it's not until I trim up a decent amount before I get the rpm's to around 5300.  Full throttle, trimmed so I have a rooster tail, I'm around 5200-5300 and doing 47 mph.

Also, On a few rare occasions on the first attempt to get on plane, the boat labors to get on plane, it feels like the engine is in safe mode  restricting the power.  no alarms are going off when this happens.  When this happens I let the boat just idle for a minute and then everything runs fine after that.  This has only happened 3 times in the 60 hours I've had the boat.

Thanks again to everyone providing feedback, its really appreciated.

You might have to find a Marine Mechanic to go on a water test.. or hook up the computer to it and look for faults. what year is the motor? I am getting about 55-5800 rpm and have hit 57 on gps with the 4 blade 20 I have, As JEM said - Somethings not right. Possible something binding up in the lower unit? Where are you located?

Like hurricane said, make sure it's not your low oil alarm. I had an alarm going off on my engine and thought it was overheating and it wound up being low oil alarm. My wire harness got messed up and wasn't sending the signal to the main tank pump to transfer oil to the tank on the engine.

Make sure your water pump housing wasn't slightly melted when you changed it.  Yamaha has a plastic housing and they are known to melt, sometimes it's hard to tell its slightly melted. Make sure all gaskets and o-rings are installed correctly. Pull and check your poppit valve asap.  If you are mechanically inclined enough i would pull the water jacket covers on the heads and take a look, more than likely there is quite a bit of build up restricting flow.  Yamahas alarm systems are very reliable. I would not start doubting the sensors and harnesses until I checked everything else I mentioned.  Cavitation doesn't cause overheating unless you are jacked to the moon.  

I would not run an engine with a jackplate without a water pressure gauge.

I have 04 2200TE with 200Vmax Bobs JP 3 blade prop. 

I can raise it for a short period of time but must watch pressure gauge as it will drop to nothing if up high. I do not have low water pickup and even if I did I would want constant reading on water Pressure.

If the boat has overheated it will show on the computer program if I am correct.

Back to the lower unit gear ratio,  I certainly do not know if these lower units are even interchangeable, but they show the following gear ratios:

1.  Inline 4 2.8L F200              1.86:1

2.  V-6 3.3L F200                    2.00:1

Just sayin' in might be worth double checking with your dealer who sold you the lower unit to ensure you have the correct unit.

Archived