Jack plate

VsteveV

Bob's does not have the Action Jack in a 4" set back. It would have to be the 6" or I would have to go with the standard and the pump in the boat. Will the 6" be ok? And I have the standard height poling platform. Do I need to worry about clearances? I'm also wondering if there will be a noticeable performance increase?

I put a manual jack plate on my boat and did get some shallow water clearance but not enough to substantiate the install. Performance was neither increased or decreased. The weight does add proposing if your not careful. I have both my trolling motor batteries in the front hatch and a perma-trim on the lower unit so mine doesn't propose bad but I have heard they can. You will have a lot more advantages with a hydraulic jack plate vs my manual one. Like stated above, no performance pick up at all really. I actually have to lower mine down some because my prop breaks loose on medium to sharp turns. I do how ever like how it sets the engine farther back and clears up the rear deck a little from the steering line and rigging. 

I have been doing some research and many testimonials ive read state that a jack plate give a better hole shot and while it be minimum, gives a little more on the top end because of the reduction of drag. Which physically makes sense to me. And I would only consider a hydr jack.

I run a 6" CMC on my 18 RF.  I would not own a flats/bay boat without a plate.  The biggest advantage for me is getting on plane in shallow water.  Without a plate you have to use a lot of engine trim to keep from dragging bottom. If you try to plane with that much engine trim you are doing water wheelies and staring at the sun. With the plate I can trim 6" up and add some tab to pop up in spit.  MPH increase is minimal.  What I can get up in still amazes my fishing buddies.

On 7/13/2016 at 4:15 PM, VsteveV said:

I have been doing some research and many testimonials ive read state that a jack plate give a better hole shot and while it be minimum, gives a little more on the top end because of the reduction of drag. Which physically makes sense to me. And I would only consider a hydr jack.

On an 18 flats with a 150, top speed increase is minimal.  On a higher performance boat the gains can be quite large. My boat gains about 2.5 mph, and my bass boat gained about 5 mph (both boats over 60 mph). 

My bay boat sees no increase. 

As far as better holeshot, maybe a touch, but none that I recognize. 

If you fish any shallow water, a hydraulic plate is a good ide

Archived