Almost

johnd

Hooked my first tarpon, that I was targeting, this am.  On 10lb test and a Mirrodine lure.  Almost wet my pants...tried to remember to "bow to the king". This is much easier to say than do when excited.   If someone had been with me, would have gotten in the net.  The guys about 200 yards from me watched the fight, as excited as I was.  
  today was cool.  Had released a few small redfish, missed larger ones, was in sub-2ft water on the skiff.  Decided to take a ride, beautiful morning, saw birds working bait (glass minnows & finger mullet). Headed in, saw the tarpon.  Some rolled so close I could have gotten a fly to them, but was frustrating enough tossing spin.  Then omg, I really hooked up.  
   Before (still) I was thinking, I got to call the birthday boy Willie, or Alex or Peter.  (All talented guides with Hewes/Mavericks).   Now that I found these fish in the river I need (still need) tips.   Then it happened.  Either I hit him in the head or even a blind squirrel finds a nut some days.     I was trying to net, the 20lb flouro leader was so frayed, it just gave way.  This was like little kid excitement, I want to do this again, though maybe actually land one for a photo/release.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived