T Top or no T Top

FunFlatsFishing

I've thought about building a mini bimini top that clamps to my console grab rail. Basically a T top/bimini top hybrid that I can clamp on in minutes and stow away in my storage. Something that's small enough to stow and allow fish ability on offshore trips but still gives some shade and rigidity when running. I know they make a similar product but they want an arm and a leg and I'm pretty crafty with conduit. 

17 hours ago, Dieselp29 said:

Installed custom made TTop on my 24TE. The top is extra wide going almost gunnel to  gunnel and extended front and back.  Great amount of shade and lost very little if any off my top end.  Had it slightly tilted down in the front, which at high speed running angle does not catch any air.  That is what ultimately impacts your top end!

PS: Love the top and my wife and dogs love me more for the shade I provided!!

256.JPG 

very nice looking top. very much like mine, almost gunnel to gunnel. do not understand how they get in the way while casting. never had a problem, even with 4 fishing. P4250001.JPG

will have to look at mine and see where they are. thanks for the remark on my ride.

just looked,

front hatch, both lid and deck hinge are screwed in where the holes are next to one another, through bolted where the bottom hole hinge is.

anchor locker, left hinge through bolted on lid, screw and through bolt on deck, right hinge through bolted on lid and screws on deck.

checked, screws still holding tight on both lids.

33 minutes ago, FunFlatsFishing said:

What kind of costs am I looking at to have one added?

Will I need a new prop to make up for the added drag?

2005 Pathfinder 2200V TE with Yamaha F150 with PowerTech OFX4 17 pitch 

I have the EXACT set up as you except with the new 200 (same weight) and even have same prop.  

I just got a quote from Action Welding in Ft Myers.  

They start around $2500 and then added cost from lights, ebox, whatever else you want to add.  I'm guessing around $3k all said and done.  Action Welding is top of the line work.  Bruce does phenomenal work.  Won't be disappointed.  

You might possibly benefit from a new prop but I would just wait until you wear that one out.  

I will have you by the end of the year.  I can't wait.  

Here an option, a break away T-Top (no hinges, not a folding top)  I went this route for the sole purpose of being able to get the boat in my garage but it gives me the option to fish with or with out the T-Top.  With two people it takes apx. 10 min. to take off or put on.  I can do it by myself but takes longer and I use support poles made from PVC piping.  I had it done by Wallaby's Fabrication, located one block from MBC. They fabricate MBC's leaning post.  I must say that I fish with it on 99% of the time and I never have an issue with casting from the front deck. 

IMG_2230.JPG

IMG_2300.JPG

IMG_2311.JPG

IMG_2347.JPG

IMG_3716.JPG

9 hours ago, Capt. Tyler said:

I have the EXACT set up as you except with the new 200 (same weight) and even have same prop.  

I just got a quote from Action Welding in Ft Myers.  

They start around $2500 and then added cost from lights, ebox, whatever else you want to add.  I'm guessing around $3k all said and done.  Action Welding is top of the line work.  Bruce does phenomenal work.  Won't be disappointed.  

You might possibly benefit from a new prop but I would just wait until you wear that one out.  

I will have you by the end of the year.  I can't wait.  

x2 on action welding, fantastic work and bruce is great to work with. have used him several times. cost closer to 3500. with all the goodies.

top did not add any drag, new prop will not be needed, jmo. in fact I picked up a few mph at wot and engine trimmed changed. think I got a little lift at the stern from air passing under the top. 

13 minutes ago, FunFlatsFishing said:

So to add the steering and engine controls it bumps the cost up to around $3,500?

no that would add another 3k plus to the 3500. your not only adding steering/controls. your adding, helm station a gauge, tab controls and a different style t-top frame to allow a standing platform and standing through the top of the top.

I could see it getting in the way on a 2200 as some have mentioned.  On my 2400, its not a problem for fishing, bow or stern.  It does sometimes get in the way getting into tight spots around docks and mangroves and such where the trees hang over.  And when i first got it had to remember to take rods out of the rocket launchers going under bridges i had been under a 100 times, and lost a rod out of one running the beach when it was rough once.  There is a little adjustment with it, but hasn't changed the way I actually fish.

But one of the things i really like is having a handle when walking the gunnels.  That is really great to be able to reach out and grab that thing when you are up there, opens it up for fishing more for me and makes up for any loss of maneuverability in that area because of the top.

On July 5, 2016 at 11:29 AM, The BFOQ said:

I've got what is called a "K-Top," which some of the south Texas folks have used for years.  The surface area of the top is a bit smaller than the typical T-top (mostly just narrower), but it mounts into the console, not the floor.  So it doesn't disrupt your walk around space.  The console has to be thoroughly glassed in to make the K-top work, but to me it's the perfect compromise between a big T-top that can get in the way and something make-shift (like sticking an umbrella in a rod holder). 

On the Boat 2011.jpg

The problem with this tTop is that no one is in the shade, which seems to be common with a lot of them. I have a nice large Bimini for when it's hot or raining and down when it's not. 

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 6:02 PM, Slo Poke1 said:

The problem with this tTop is that no one is in the shade, which seems to be common with a lot of them. I have a nice large Bimini for when it's hot or raining and down when it's not. 

It was also taken at about 5:30 pm, as you can see from the angle of the shadow.  That's not exactly the time of day when one seeks shady solace under a top. 

Archived