Bennett vs Lenco

G8rfisher

I currently have Bennett trim tabs with the upgraded cylinders and switch that shows tab position. I have had them less than 6 months and one cylinder is already shot and the connections are not great. I am thinking of moving to Lenco.

I am looking for opinions between Bennett and Lenco.

Thank you!

Had 3 boats with Lencos. My folks have had 3 with Bennetts. I've replaced every Lenco actuator at least once, a couple of them twice, all at my expense. Bennett, I've barely had an issue, the two times I did, one time they sent me new parts out of warranty for free, the other, they talked me through fixing it on the phone. 

Get your Bennetts right, and stick with them. 

14 minutes ago, hurricane said:

So do you have the new Bennett Electric tabs? I haven't anything about them, but it looks like they have a good warranty. I have had a few Lenco actuators go out, so the move might not be as hassle free as you would wish.

Hurricane, I have the hydraulic Bennett's.

12 hours ago, G8rfisher said:

I currently have Bennett trim tabs with the upgraded cylinders and switch that shows tab position. I have had them less than 6 months and one cylinder is already shot and the connections are not great. I am thinking of moving to Lenco.

Thank you!

Have LENCO on a 2012 boat and never look at the settings. Between trim of the motor and adjusting the tabs the attitude of the boat tells me where I should be.

If you could define what "shot" is it would help us try to determine the issue, since you have hydraulic tabs I (is it a new boat installation or refit?) the issue is probably related to the o rings at the top of the upper hinge where the cylinder meets. If that is your cylinder has failed?  If it's shot wiring at a connection then I'd just redo it and seal it properly?  These actuators are really bullet proof but like anything else they need to be removed and reinstalled correctly or you'll have issue like any other electro mechanical boat part.  At 6 months you are well within your warranty period and the CS team at Bennett will take care of you for sure...  If you are compelled to go to an electric setup you really should try the Bennett Bolt, you can eliminate the pump and the actuator setup is easy, the controls will work with the new actuators and the design is superior to the market.  Limited lifetime warranty too (I am pretty sure?)....  Good luck, it's easy to fix! 

On 6/27/2016 at 8:20 PM, G8rfisher said:

Thank you!

G8r,

Can you tell me what you mean by "Shot" and what other issues you are having?  Let me know and I will be delighted to help me. You can contact me at Tabmanhelp@gmail.com I check that more often than this forum.

Tom McGow

Bennett Marine

• 2 weeks later...

All of the boats I have owned have had tabs on them, primarily Bennett hydraulic, never had a single issue with the exception of a bad tank on the pump that was replaced by Bennett w/o question and way out of warranty! The Lenco's to me seem slower on my 24 TE, than they were on my Maverick and I have replaced both of the actuators, and the switch on my boat, not bad for 8 years but customer service is what makes a business and Lenco is weak at best on it. If I was building to order or replacing them it would be going with the Bennett system, but I also have the room for another pump vs a smaller boat!

Jim 

I put Lenco's on a 23 Mako that I rebuilt. They lasted 2+ years with about 250 hours of use before the first one failed due to water leaking past the seals. I called Lenco and they told me to go buy a new actuator. 2 months later, the second actuator failed due to water intrusion past the seals. I couldn't se any future in replacing the actuators every 2 or 3 years so I installed Bennetts. I had run Bennetts for 25 years on my 17 Mako and never had a problem.

Archived