Proping new 250 Vmax SHO on 2200XL TE opinions/advice requested.

MarkB2

Proping new 250 Vmax SHO on 2200XL TE opinions/advice requested.

I just hung a new Yami 250 Vmax SHO on my boat. I bought a Powertech OFX4 21p prop from Admiral Propeller in Tampa. (They have a free prop swop policy) When Central Marine ran the boat, after installing the new engine, they said that the pitch on the prop seemed to be too high and suggested going down to a 19p. I swapped the prop to a 19p and ran the boat Friday and Saturday to break in the new engine. After my first few hours of break-in, I let her run wide open for a few 3-5 minute spurts. I was only able to get 5300rpm at 53mph out of her. This was with the jackplate up 3 inches and the engined trimmed to optimal speed. This configuration gave me the best speed and lowest GPH at WOT without increasing RPM due to prop slip.  I was able to achieve max, 6000rpm by raising the jackplate all the way up but that also sacrifices speed because the prop is slipping a bit. I will only run with the Jackplate all the way up when running shallow, not all the time. The hole shot was outstanding and got the boat on plane within a boat's length and the stern lift was great. My boat is a 2000XL TE which is quite a bit different than the 2000V. I also have a large T-Top and a second windshield that extends above the original CC windshield. The fuel tank was 8/10 full and one rear livewell was filled to simulate another person on board.

It looks like I will need to drop to a 17p prop. I plan to swap it out at Admiral Propeller as soon as they get one in stock next week.

Does this seem reasonable from what all of you experts have experienced over time? I'm not looking for blazing speed. 50mph is plenty fast enough for me. I do want the good hole shot though. It comes quite in handy in the back country shallows. 

Incidentally, my old vented OFX3 21P from my old engine turned 57-5800RPM @ 50MPH.

Thanks for any input and advice.

20160621_170722  (1280x720).jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got a hold of a 17p PT OXF4. They have been on back order from PT for a while now. My best results on calm water with a light load ran 5700-5800 RPM and 51-52 MPH with the engine trimmed half way up and 1-2 inches up on the jack plate. When dropping to cruising speed (30-35 mph ) it wanted to start porpoising until I trimmed/tucked the engine down almost all the way or put the trim tabs down a bit. I don't like having to adjust trim to stop the porpoising. Or this may just be something I have to get used to doing. It had a great hole shot though. I was on plane within a boat length.

Any suggestions? Not sure if I should go down to a 16P, or another type of prop all together? Not looking for top end speed, just good hole shot and lift at cruising speed.

• 9 months later...

I have a 2008 2200XL with a 200HPDI.  I have a Mercury 21.5 Bravo 1FS on it.  With 3/4 fuel, trolling motor on the bow, 2 people and 3 batteries, I hit 54mph at 5500 RPM yesterday.....not sure why that 250 SHO is not performing better than that.  Makes no sense to me.  Try the same prop I am using....motor all the way down on jack plate and trimmed out slightly.  That set up should scare 60 IMHO....

I have a 2008 2200XL with a 200HPDI.  I have a Mercury 21.5 Bravo 1FS on it.  With 3/4 fuel, trolling motor on the bow, 2 people and 3 batteries, I hit 54mph at 5500 RPM yesterday.....not sure why that 250 SHO is not performing better than that.  Makes no sense to me.  Try the same prop I am using....motor all the 

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, I thought I had already posted my final results. I wound up going to a 16P 4-Blade Power Tech OXF4 prop. I'm getting 50-51 mph at 6K rpm with a standard load for a normal fishing day, 2 people, and full fuel tank. After much research I've found out a few things. After talking with a couple of Yamaha techs and the guys from Power Tech, it looks like they've changed the tuning on the newer 250 SHOs.and it doesn't spin the 4-blade prop as well as it first did when they first hit the market. I also have a larger than normal T-top and a full windshield that goes from just under the T-top down to the console. These holds back the top-end speed a bit. I'm not very concerned with all out speed but want good consistent performance for the area I normal fish. I'm usually running in quite shallow water throughout a typical day of fishing. I feel I have it with this setup. I can jump on plane within a boat length. I can get on plane with the jack plate in it's highest position. I can stay on plane through shallow water at a slower speed than I could before, and I still have a good top-end speed when running normal. All-in-all, I'm liking this set up much better than what I had with the 200 HPDI and 3-blade 21P Power Tech OXF3. 

Archived