Bimini top height

brew1891

Picking up a new to me 2200v this weekend. Family demands a bimini top. Wanna order a cheap one of the web or find one on CL since it will spend most of its life in the garage. 

What height is everyone ordering? Is 54" tall enough? Searched but couldn't find the answer to this one. 

(If anyone happens to have a grey or black one between Orlando and Miami cheap let me know)

I have an 1806 and ordered this one, it fits fine, the color faded a little in some areas but works fine.  I am 6' 1" and do not have to duck under it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EEWQ7I4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also ordered these. I find them so much better then the standard bracket to connect a bimini since they do NOT stick up when the top is removed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HHGFXEI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the responses! I don't have the boat on hand but for some reason I was guessing the gunnels weren't that high. Glad to hear a 54" will work should save a ton of $$. 

SCFD-- those shade blades look awesome, just not in the budget right now after buying the boat  

Craigs--thanks for the Amazon link to the top. For that price if it last a couple years it'll be worth it. The boat already has the boat side of an Accon Bimini bracket installed. Just have to order the Bimini side piece.

On June 24, 2016 at 9:54 PM, Hotfoot5 said:

The 54" is ok most of the time. I replaced a 54" with a 60(ish) and it made a big difference. I now have headroom and am able to use all of the console rod holders. 

Got the boat today. I agree. Gunnels only 17". 60" seems like a better choice. Unfortunately that seems to about double the price since I can't get a discount one off amazon. 

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 8:34 AM, SCFD rtrd. said:

Check my math, but 54" plus the height of the gunnels, maybe 24" equals 78" or 6 ft. 6 inches. I bought a (Shade Blade) and couldn't be happier. You get shade, protection from rain, but no straps or poles to deal with.

Just curious.  When I look at the web site, I see two straps at the bow and two at the stern - usually attached to the helm seat.  Do you have some pics of your installation?

Thanks

The straps in the front stay hooked up all the time. The straps in the back attach in the cross pattern to keep the top from moving side to side (twisting) while running. I had a gizmo made to attach the umbrella pole to my grab-bar over the windshield. When I'm fishing or just moving slowly from one fishing hole to another, I remove the straps in the back, so the whole back and sides are open for casting or fighting fish. I've been at my condo for about 3 weeks and have been fishing every day. I intended to take some good pics of the top, but haven't yet. Let me look on my Photo-Bucket site and see if I have any pics.

Just discovered how to drag pics from my computer to the forum. Anyway, I built a prototype out o PVC, then took it to a welder and he made the part out of anodized polished aluminum. The part clamps to the grab-bar with four bolts and is thru bolted through the umbrella pole with two bolts.  This keeps the whole thing very rigid and enables me to remove the rear straps when fishing or moving slow. I'll get some better pics of the real thing.  

DSC06286.JPG

I think that I paid under $600 for my top and that included adjustable rear supports that were $89. 

The rear adjustable legs were junk and are being sent back. When the boat was underway they would slip, allowing the entire bimini top to loosen and flap in the wind. 

I now just use straps fore and aft. 

Archived