Best board charger?

Mellow Yellow 1806V

I have the Minn Kota 3 bank digital on board charger mounted in center console, not sure how it compares to others, but it has worked great for 3 seasons. The secret with any of them is ventilation...while it's charging, it gets hot...keep console door open if charging. 

I have the 2 bank & 3 bank Precision Charger from MinnKota b it's awesome.  

Maybe im wrong, but the amps per bank depends on what kind of battery you're charging.  A flooded battery is better off getting a slower charger (5amps instead of 10amps).  

As for an AGM, i was told that you can get away with a much faster charge without any harm (10-15amps). 

But heck...I could be completely wrong.  Just make sure you get a charger that can charge your type of battery.  Mostly for if you have an AGM, make sure you get a charger made for those.  -Tyler

6 hours ago, Mellow Yellow 1806V said:

Don't amps reflect charging rate/time? 

Yes,

Go on MK website..they have a complete explanation....but, in short, the more amps, the faster the charging....

But, to be honest for the average non-tournament fisherman, a standard, 6 or 10 amp charger will overnight most weekend fisherman's batteries...I always plug in the night i finish fishing and then again the night before....

my drill night before:

1. check bilge pumps by filling hull

2.) start engine and run it on the muffs

3.) check trolling motor and connections

4.) plug in for the night

For those who camp or tourney fish, the Stealth is recommended as it charges on the go....

For what I do, I rarely fish more than 2 days without a charge, and my series 27's handle my MK Ultera fine..they've never run more than 1/2 after two days of charging.

The key to longevity of batteries and other thoughts:

1.) Charge on the go - stealth (best)

2.) Charge as soon as you get back from your trip

3.) Get the max Reserve Capacity for the battery - the less charge you take off the batteries (meaning the more RC and when you draw amps it uses less of the battery), the longer the battery will last.

4.) Get the appropriate battery for your system - some batteries will not work on all chargers (most gam's, all wet cycles ) work on the aforementioned...only some of the more specialized batteries.

5.) Personal opinion - name brand will treat you right - MK, Noco, dual pro, pro-mariner, etc. 

6.) I recommend you buy at a WM - yes, more $$, but, buy on your AMEX card and the 3 year warranty...you have 100% security of your machine in the event of a problem - you are going to invest $300 or so, 10% safety is worth it in my opinion.

7.) Keep a small trickle charger in your kit - $50 or so, to use in case one of your leads go bad or your unit, at least you can insure you have power.

DC

In Stock at Amazon

NOCO Genius GEN3 30 Amp 3-Bank Waterproof Smart On-Board Battery Charger
by NOCO
4.4 out of 5 stars    526 customer reviews | 153 answered questions
List Price:    $269.99
Price:    $239.90 Free Shipping for Prime Members

Read the reviews.

JEM is right, the Powermania charger is really an excellent charger.  The thing that I like most is that it is the only charger that will take a zero volt battery and recharge it, it is waterproof and has a sealed area that has the dip switches so you can select your battery type, it also uses the most available power to like 99%.  And if you're at a little hotel with a bunch of other boats that are trying to charge, it'll charge at a much lower voltage input than the others, so if you are at the end of the hotel behind 15 other boats yours will charge.  I have a 2 - 20 in my 17' MA.... Most of the big center console brands use it.

On June 23, 2016 at 6:44 PM, Headhunter said:

Minn Kota is pretty bullet proof and handles any type of battery.

If my batteries are discharged too much the Minn Kota will not bring them back. It flashes "bad connection". So i have to put the manual charger on them individually to charge them a little bit, then can switch to the Minn Kota. 

Not impressed with the Minn Kota so far!

The Minn Kota (and most all) won't charge a battery that is determined by the charger to be "dead", they won't read low voltage.  That's is why it will work after a direct charge manually to bring the voltage in the battery back up then it can "read" the battery and charge.  That Powermania charger will charge a zero volt battery up even if the Ac power input drops to 90% capacity.  So with the voltage drop that occurs when the extension chord is plugged in (more length worse it is) we lose line voltage before we even start to charge... 

Archived