SeaDek vs. Non-Skid

Bill Blanton

The non-skid surfaces on my 2004 17 HPX-V are starting to show extensive wear. Instead of applying new non-skid, I'm considering covering all horizontal surfaces with SeaDek. Anyone have experience with such an extensive Sea-Dek application? One concern I have is, how difficult is to keep SeaDek surfaces clean?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Best,

Bill

SeaDek is a really nice upgrade, you can customize it and do some contrasting color match for your boat as well.  Yes it can be tough to clean but I think its worth it, I'm hoping to my paint done soon so I can move on to that next step too!  Good luck!

I have my whole boat done 5 years ago in grey and I absolutely will not have another boat without it. After each use I scrub it with soft scrub and today it looks like the day I put it in. I Put in the 3mm over the 5 mm for a nice soft cushion feel. It is easier to me to clean than the plain deck. Tyler also put mine in.

I'm in the same situation - my MA is slicker than an ice rink when wet and slimy.  So also trying to decide what to do.

While researching I found another foam flooring option called AquaTraction (Link).  I spoke with them on the phone and they seem very friendly and customer oriented.  They are sending some samples to see what it's like and how the colors work with the gelcoat. 

Good luck with your search.

Cheers,

Bud

I received the Aqua Traction samples today (no charge).  I requested the lighter colors only.  Below is a photo of them on the deck, inside the garage, under fluorescent lighting.  The white dot pattern looks like it goes with my gelcoat pretty well (the boat previously lived on a lift).  It's lighter but in the same color tone.  Next I want to check it outside in the sunlight.  I really like the feel of the material and larger dots - a bit spongier than the SD.   Anxiously waiting on a quote...

AquaTractionSamples.JPG

Looks like good stuff, I've been reluctant to put Sea Dek at helm because of how it shows wear on the top of my two coolers. Not sure how it would hold up to foot traffic...it seems like others have had good luck with it though. Has anyone had to take a large piece up, and if so..how aggravating is it to get up ? 

On June 20, 2016 at 3:43 PM, Bill Blanton said:

The non-skid surfaces on my 2004 17 HPX-V are starting to show extensive wear. Instead of applying new non-skid, I'm considering covering all horizontal surfaces with SeaDek. Anyone have experience with such an extensive Sea-Dek application? One concern I have is, how difficult is to keep SeaDek surfaces clean?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Best,

Bill

Bill,

I'd give Bob at Inshore Marine a call...he can do either Non-Skid or SeaDeck and is the best to give you an accurate assessment on costs.

From my limited experience from how I"ve seen you and your fishing,  I'd say go with Non-Skid, given the variety of clients you have....a good non-skid will give you another 10 years and the boat will look like new....

The first time one of your clients walks through some nice tar at Outdoor Resorts from the parking lot or the local diner, and they step on your boat...you are gona cringe when it hits the sea-deck.  For the non-guide, I'd say it's a nice upgrade...I'm thinking about it on my skinny mini....also considering painting the deck...have to see....but, as a non -guide, I can control more of who and what goes on the boat.

DC

My HPX-V has SeaDek in the cockpit, deck and both platforms. It is great on your feet or when you're working on the boat, it can be a pain to keep clean but overall I like it. My SeaDek is going on 10 years old and is still holding up well aside from some scratches from the dogs

• 1 year later...

If anyone is interested in Aquatraction I am a certified dealer in South Florida. Product is better in many ways compared to EVA. Ours is a PE foam and much more durable but touches and feels the same as the rest. Feel free to give me a text or shout at 2394040380

Archived