Minn Kota ulterra

Waccamaw

I am in the process of upgrading my trolling motor on my 18 Redfisher, using the quick release bracket RTA 17 and the Ulterra 80.

Any advice would be appreciate as there seems to be no way to reach the bolts underneath to attach washers and nuts.

Thinking of tapping and using 4200 while installing bolts, not sure if this will be strong enough?

I'm sure someone has encountered the same issue, any pointers?

Triplec, have you used this?  I bought similar at HD for a home improvement project & they broke as I tried to instal.  The plastic long "legs" twisted, bent and I could not get the screw to bite.  Wonder if someone makes a "normal" toggle bolt in stainless?

On June 13, 2016 at 8:44 PM, johnd said:

Triplec, have you used this?  I bought similar at HD for a home improvement project & they broke as I tried to instal.  The plastic long "legs" twisted, bent and I could not get the screw to bite.  Wonder if someone makes a "normal" toggle bolt in stainless?

John, I have used them. Daytona Bolt sells a better version in my opinion than our local HD. We used them on my son in laws install on diff boat but zero access and I used them on my MA for one or two that didn't fall on on the backing plate. That darn mount has to be close to the edge so we used them there. I drilled and tapped the plate where I could but two of them I think missed the plate. Been on a  few years with no issues and I recently removed the plate to redo the nose piece of my seadek where I had worn it down on the bow.

On 6/17/2016 at 11:05 AM, fishmanjj said:

get diagram from Hewes on exact location of the glassed in aluminum plate, drill and tap it..( the aluminum is soft ) .you will not have any problems from that point on.

That's what I did.  My original TM was mounted that way and removing the bolts was a major PITA, so when I mounted the new one I was confident that tapping the plate and putting a dab of 4200 in there was more than good enough.

Snap toggles and 4200 is what I ended up with, I think it will hold just fine.

Now I've got to figure out how to use the Ulterra, could have worse problems.

Thanks for the responses, I tried tapping but my tap wasn't long enough - feel confident with the toggles.

Unless the Hewes is laid out different the plate is not exactly where it needs to be anyway for those mounts that require the motor to hang pretty far forward. Forgot to mention but some thread locker is handy or they will need tightening occasionally. As for the Ulterra, your gonna love it. I had an ipilot so no learning curve but if you haven't you will get the hang of it quick. 

Archived