Heads up if you are planning on fishing upper tampa bay anytime soon

Don't waste your time, the grass that was there last year is here and thicker than ever. I was out yesterday and airport, big island, along 275, Allens creek to the bayside bridge is all unfishable. I ran the flats yesterday (not buzzing, ran from a short distance looking for activity or anywhere I could fish), and at some points it looked like someone's front lawn. Anything other than a high tide can't be fished. 

The flats are completely choked out with the grass and it is topped out. I'm going to do some exploring further north, but I know 1 or 2 of the more popular spots north are filled with grass as well. A guide buddy went out and couldn't get a single fish even with live bait, and I've been skunked my last 2 trips besides 2 dink snook. 

Probably result of all the rain, too much fresh water.

I fished the South Shore today, had a fair day. 3-4 snook smaller 20-25", 1 redfish 20", and a big blue fish. Small fish day, but all on top water, so it kinda makes up for it. Water was clear with a little stain there was no floating grass, the tide was almost nill.

There is floating grass but most of it is attached to bottom.

I don't mean this in a cocky way, but rarely do we struggle to actually catch anything, but it is extremely tough. I don't have a motivation to fish and I even went again today. 

Current situation.... all the grass is topped out and you can't fish. Water is nasty with about 3 inch visibility. 

20160613_165523.jpg

20160613_165539.jpg

20160613_165531.jpg

Thursday at Desoto was decent with a few snook and trout. It was a good out going tide but the wind picked up early and it was difficult to find bait so we ended up artificial most of the day. On Friday 4th st. was a ghost town with lots of freshwater. We had some luck on the flats around Christmas and Weedon. 

Archived