No room for live well pump!

Miss Jazzy

After the problems I had reversing the drainage plumbing I have run into another. My boat was built with the aft storage compartment rigged for live well. When I purchased the boat a couple months ago only one of the pumps worked, the center. No problem because I had planned on replacing the entire live well system. It still had the old plastic Merlon valves, old 700gph rule pumps and no stainers. Well I knew that replacing all this was going to be tight but I had no idea it was going to be this tough. Barely had the room to put one new pump in and I have no idea how to get the other one in. There is not enough room to screw another strainer and pump without hitting the other one. Any ideas?

99f9e0f4-ce4e-4ff3-b05b-4b9e2413fe43_zps

I was afraid if I stood them up they would not prime since they would be above the water line. The pipes are long to get them out into the bilge area. I can't turn the strainer if it was closer to the inlet because there is only about an inch to the bottom of the boat. I wanted to take off the elbow and add a longer pipe coming from the cheese grader but I couldn't get a wrench on it. 

I ran the boat this weekend and now I'm not getting any water to the pump. I think my cheese grader is stopped up with grass as when I replaced everything the pipes were full of grass. I thought I got it all out but I guess I'm going to have to take off the cheese grader and check in there for more grass. 

Miss Jazzy....... that does sound like your problem, on my 2400V the cheese grater would get clogged with grass and sometimes hard mud and the water flow is stopped, and I would have to take it off and flush the inlets and pipes to get flow. My  2200XL does not have the cheese grater configuration. It has two inlet ports directly behind the hull drain plug inside the "pocket" and so far has been no problems with water flow.

Archived