Leanpost issues....

Hotfoot5

My 2012 22TRS leanpost seat is giving me fits. The "catches" on either side of the seat keep getting broken off. I've repaired them several times but the problem seems to be in the design. The "catches" on the leanpost frequently don't line up with the "pins" on the seat. When this happens the catches get damaged. Am I the only person having this issue? Is there a remedy?  

Ryan

i'm not familiar with the "catches" on the seat that get broken ( but both of my PF's are older ) ...maybe the TRS is different......can you post a pic ?  Both of mine have a stainless snap on the fiberglass seat base with a short strap from the cushion side that snaps to the leaning post to secure the actual seat cushion. But mine could be an older design.....year models 2000 - 2400V and year model 2009 - 200XL

YES!  My brand new, 2016 22 TRS has the same issue (and some more which I will be documenting soon).

These latches just don't work.  I purchased my boat in Stuart Florida and on the tow home, I noticed that both latches had let go and the seat was flapping open and closed in the 60 mph breeze back there.  These latches just don't hold the seat in place.

I too, long for the old snaps that used to hold the seat down.  Here's what happened according to my anonymous sources.  Someone in a very senior position at the MBC doesn't like straps with snaps so the design team was clearly pressured to find something else - anything.  The result is the current latches that simply do not work.

Here is what I plan to do as soon as my local canvas/upholstery guy has a free moment.  Have him sew two straps with snaps to the seat! I'll post photos once we get it done.

There are many more "issues" that I've had with the new boat.  Once MBC has had a fair chance to respond and correct them, I'll document them here.  Let's just say that, aside from my first wife, this boat may be the biggest mistake I've made.

Ron, post a picture of this latch configuration. I'm only familiar with the strap and snap type because my 2400v and 2200XL have the short straps and snaps ... Which have worked perfectly for many years....and in the case of a snap failure , the local hardware has replacement stainless steel snaps and the pliers tool to crimp them. Hard to believe someone at Pathfinder would change that very simple and inexpensive design with something that now has caused problems. 

• 1 year later...

No issues with mine breaking off... have had the screws loosen and fall off.  Other than that one side doesn't want to stay latched, I think the latches will work BUT they have to be aligned properly with the catch on the seat portion.  There is no way to tell what needs to be moved or adjusted though cause you cant see how the 2 relate when the seat is closed.

9 hours ago, FINCHASER said:

There is no way to tell what needs to be moved or adjusted though cause you cant see how the 2 relate when the seat is closed.

Bingo Fin!  You got this 100% correct!  

After I made the first post and unfortunately, after I had the snaps and straps added, I found that it was indeed the misalignment of the latches that kept it from closing properly.  I found this out because the pan under the seat (where the "female" half of the latch is affixed ) came with cracks in it and Ray sent me a new one.  While installing the new one, I carefully measured the locations of all the stuff attached to the pan.  It was then that I noticed that the starboard side female latch portion was lower than the port side on the original!  Since it was the port side that stayed closed and the starboard side that did not, I simply located the new starboard side latch about a 1/3 inch higher (to match the port side) and now the d#%$mn closes and stays closed perfectly.  The straps are now not needed, like a belt AND suspenders but I snap them anyway so they don't flap in the wind.

I think the design flaw is depending on latches that must line up perfectly being attached to the pan under the seat which does not appear to be a perfect fit every time.

It is still a good boat though:).

Hello! I had the same problem and was told by my dealer that I needed new  catches. So I ordered them and put them in and the same problem was present. Come to find out they were just barley touching. I made a small spacer for the male side and problem solved. 

IMG_0542.JPG

Archived