Fuel tank replace

Capt. T

I've got a 91 Hewes Tournament (Bonefisher) the original tank was taken out and a plastic 12 gal tank was put in. It works but is only 12 gallons. Which ***. No long journeys unless pack spare cans. How many have replaced fuel tanks in these boats? Did the cap have to be pulled? How much did it cost? Where did you have it done?  Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

Dude, I did mine a while back...got 30 a gallon tank through the hatch...barely. Plus some bloody knuckles. Make yourself a tank model out of cardboard to make sure it fits. When you get it totally dialed-in then take the model tank to your fabricator and you are set. Just add new fuel hoses, sending unit, rubber pads, and hard-to-reach bolts and you are set.

• 2 weeks later...

I had mine replaced on my 95 18' redfisher and Bob at Inshore Marine Specialties just cut the front half of the cap off right at the front bulk head. replaced the tank with a new one that i had sprayed with Line X and then glassed the cap back in. Looks factory. He said he doesn't recommend removing the whole cap. I have a post somewhere with pics of the refresh on my boat. I think its labeled redfisher face lift. 

• 2 months later...

I would have to agree with Brent B. Based on his post (I just love this forum for info like this) I spoke to Bob and decided he was the guy for the job. My '93 18' Lappy had sprung a leak on the underside of the original fuel tank.  I was not happy as the rest of the boat is in great shape.  Bob from Inshore Marine Specialties assured me it would turn out great and it did.  I was extremely impressed with Bob's knowledge of the task at hand (he's done this before), his great communication throughout the entire process (I live in Sarasota on the west coast of FL, so I wasn't there to see the work and had to rely on pictures and Bob's descriptions throughout the process) and his shop is spotless and very efficient.  Long story short if you have an old Hewes/Maverick with a similar issue I would highly recommend Bob to complete the task. My job included new aluminum tank, I chose to Rhinoline it, new fuel line, new vent line, new fill hose and new fuel sender as seen below. I couldn't be happier with the end result.  Rare in the marine industry to find someone who gets the job done perfectly, on time, and on budget.  I've posted some pics below and again appreciate this forum for all it does. Without it who knows what I would have done!  Having said all this I would trust Bob with any big project not just a fuel tank.....I just wish he was closer to my home, but well worth the 3 hour drive each way!!!

Fuel Tank 4.jpg

Fuel Tank 1.jpg

IMG_2500.JPG

IMG_2501.JPG

IMG_2502.JPG

IMG_2503.JPG

IMG_2504.JPG

• 9 months later...

Yeah, getting it out was not fun....drain gas, fill tank with water, get out your Sawmill and have at it. Some smart design person specified a tank that cannot be removed/replaced/repaired without lifting the cap or chopping up the tank. Upon further inspection mine had a flaw in the weld on the back side of tank that was leaking drip, drip. 

Archived