Redfisher loose console

OSlawyer

The console of my 1996 19' Redfisher has come loose as the screws are pulling out of the fiberglass deck. I am concerned that these loose screw holes will become access points for water infiltration into the foam below the deck. I am hoping some of you will have some advice as to how to properly affix the console to the deck and what ought I use to fill the screw holes that now exist (Marine-Tex, 5200, etc)? There must be some better way to attach the console to the deck than screws into fiberglass. There does not seem to be any sort of backing plate under the deck to hold the screws.

The 1st thing you need to do is find out why the screws are pulling loose. Is there a lot of vibration on the console when the boat is being operated? Are they pulling out because of deck rot? How loose is the console? Are the screw holes wallowed out so retightening the screws won't hold? If the screws are just vibrating out and can be retightened, remove the screws one at a time, and fill each hole with 5200 and reinsert each screw. This may work if the screw holes are slightly wallowed out. You may need to remove the console and have fiberglass repairs done if the deck is soft, and the holes are weak. Marine-Tex is for gelcoat repairs and I doubt if it would work. I would try 5200.

I'd probably go with 1 size up in stainless screws and use 4200 (just in case you, or anyone else, ever wants to take the console off).  The bigger screws should bite and the 4200 will seal and hold them from backing out.

Living in New England it is not uncommon to have to run for a couple of miles in 1 - 3 foot seas. I am sure this does not help the situation. I have had screws come loose in the past and have either filled the hole with Marine-tex, drilled out new holes and re-screwed or have filled the holes with 4200 and put the screws back in. Neither has been a permanent fix. I have had water infiltration under the deck and into the foam which caused me to remove and replace the foam and deck about two years ago. (This was caused by a crack in the deck which over time wicked water into the foam.) This having been cleaned up, I need a secure means of affixing the console to the deck. When we run in rough seas, my son and I have to stand holding the grab rails on the console in order to stay in the boat. 

M.A. and Nauti, thank you for your input and advice. Perhaps 5200 is the answer.

Archived