Need more Grip

So I am mulling over the idea of getting a new prop. My current one is not terrible but I would like better grip and better hole shot. I'm currently running a Mercury Marine Vengeance 48-16988A45 18P 3 blade stainless prop turning 5700 RPM at 46MPH with 2 people, a trolling motor, and 2 batteries in the console and 1/4 tank of gas. I was thinking about a powertec SCD4 but unsure on what pitch. The boat is a 99 18' Redfisher lapstrake with a 99 yamaha 115 2 stroke. Thanks!

I just purchased the Power Tech OFX4 18 pitch! Its amazing and would recommend it everyday. SPEC's are 6000rpm 48.2MPH really loaded down boat. The hole shot jerks you back in the seat. Now my motor is a 150. If your looking to buy one call Jeff at ptpropeller.com and talk to the Marcus at Powertech they are both great guys. Good luck and Tight lines!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Desperado213 - I have the same set up as you but running a 17 pitch, hole shot is great but slipping and blowing out when I'm running high speed and turn left. I too wanted to swap to a four blade so I called Marcus. He asked me one question that made me think "Do you want to change the characteristics on how the boat performs" stern lift, bow lift,hole shot. No I didn't, the boat performs great with the stelletto 13.25x17 other than the slipping when turning. So we decided on NRS3 13.25X17 ported 5/16. I just picked it up this morning I'll let you know how it performs later in the week. 

I sure would like to hear how the NRS performs. Even though I have the F115 I would assume that the handling characters would be similar?  This fall I will be looking for a 2nd prop not only as a spare but also to prop whichever best suits the conditions on the water and boat load. Marcus recommend the PTR3, but I'm looking for some owner feedback before I make a final decision. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well after giving the new prop NRS3 a try I'm not to happy. The boat has a good bite when turning left but to many other characteristics on the boat changed. The prop gave the boat to much stern lift pushing the bow down. Even with the tabs up and motor trimmed the boat now has a wet ride in the smallest chop, the boat gets loose in a following sea and you need to steady adjust the tabs to get a level ride. The hole shot is strong and the motor is turning 5200 rpm with a speed of 41-42 mph by gps. I ran the prop on three trips and it's not for me. I will sell the prop if someone is interested in giving it a shot.

I had a slightly different boat but same hull, 97 Bayfisher with Yammi 115.  I tried A LOT of different props.  While the boat did okay with  most of them it liked a few better than others.  It depends how you want the boat to run.  For a flat smooth ride with good holeshot it was a SCD3 19.  The grip was ok but could not give it much trim without it breaking loose but the prop ran good.  I had the SCD worked some.  It was dropped in pitch and more cup added to the tips.  This gave it great grip and you could trim to the moon.  The cup gave it much more lift overall in both stern and bow which was easily controlled by trim.  The prop I ran the most was a Trophy 17.  Great prop over all right out of the box.  With the lappys I think it really comes down to what kind of ride you want out of the prop.

I have an 07 18' red with the F115 w/ SCD417. What I want to do is try a different set up to compare. My PT is a little beat up, so I'm not sure if that Is causing performance issues, but I feel that the prop is slow out of the hole and it breaks loose too often for my liking. Maybe I will re-condition and port the prop to get the RPM's up faster but I still plan on getting a 2nd prop. I was considering a 3 blade but not sure which one.

Archived