Simrad go totalscan?

mkinley17

I bought and installed it 2 weeks ago and love it. Fast processor, very bright and touch screen works great, even while wet.

The only "bad" is the transducer is massive. About the size of a foot long sub from Subway.

I may purchase the Navionics Platinum map for additional detail. My former GPS ran Navionics and my Simrad GO7XSE came with Insight so I am still getting accustomed to the change.

I may purchase the Navionics Platinum map for additional detail.

Night and day difference.  Not long ago I put in a HDS with insight and it was ok.  Picked up a Navionics not long after and love it.  The Google Earth like image is awesome.

I know you just purchased the Navionics but for others who may be interested, check out Florida Marine Tracks.

I have this chip and love it.  Its all satellite imaging with pre-run routes programmed in.  The owner Glenn runs/records all the tracks in his 189 Egret to confirm everything is accurate.  Pretty cool stuff.

http://www.floridamarinetracks.com/

2 hours ago, harbday said:

I know you just purchased the Navionics but for others who may be interested, check out Florida Marine Tracks.

I have this chip and love it.  Its all satellite imaging with pre-run routes programmed in.  The owner Glenn runs/records all the tracks in his 189 Egret to confirm everything is accurate.  Pretty cool stuff.

http://www.floridamarinetracks.com/

I stumbled across FMT earlier today and it looks pretty cool. Unfortunately I would have to pay $575 for the full state since I live in Tampa and tow north to scallop and south to lobster.

15 minutes ago, FunFlatsFishing said:

I stumbled across FMT earlier today and it looks pretty cool. Unfortunately I would have to pay $575 for the full state since I live in Tampa and tow north to scallop and south to lobster.

Yea I agree the price is steep.  I have the N. FL chip only.

• 3 weeks later...

Waiting to see some shots from the Go7 xse Totalscan ....anyone have anything they would like to share.....particularly interested in shallow water shots to see just how it works in the real world.  I've been trying to decide between the Simrad unit or the Garmin Echomap 94sv with chirp.  Both have some features I would like to have but,  neither unit has it all. 

8 hours ago, live to fish said:

On the install of the Total Scan Transducer. Which way should the wiring be facing? Towards the stern or towards the bow of the boat. I've seen pictures of it installed both ways and the installation manual does not say which way.

I installed mine with the wire facing away from the boat as the instructions had pictures of it being installed this way. However, that way is technically backwards. The image can be flipped in the settings.

I had to drive close to a seawall to make sure I knew which way was which.

ducer.jpg

My guess is there are 3 separate scanners in the transducer (down, left & right). Not sure the order of them but with the transducer installed like mine, the lower unit does not block the left scan. 

I'm wondering if the results would be the same if I flipped the transducer or if the left scan would get blocked at all. 

• 11 months later...
On 6/2/2016 at 2:26 PM, harbday said:

Yea I agree the price is steep.  I have the N. FL chip only.

I think you can get it for less if you don't want the tracks on it but you have to call them as it is not advertised like that.  For the entire state its a little more than a Navionics chip but because its in a different league on the detail, accuracy, and imagery its a nominal difference in my opinion.  If you need track info for new areas its a bargain as there is so much provided.  What to do - save $100 and get a navionics and lose a lower unit trying to get through some crazy area and have the wife screaming at you the entire trip or get FMT get 10x more detail plus the tracks and peace of mind.  I have had a few of those white knuckle rides.  It was a no brainer for me.  Some things are just worth it and others not so much.  For me FMT is now a must have and totally worth it in SFL.  If I ever go up north I'll get the NFL chip.  Just hope they dont want to charge full price again since I already have 1/2.

Archived