Recommended Achors

Hookem40

1 hour ago, Hookem40 said:

I just bought a new Pathfinder 2200TRS. Looking at Danforth and Fortress anchors. Any recommendations on achors and the size. Trying to figure out which one will fit in the anchor locker the best.

Don't worry about the anchor locker, it's a great idea, that doesn't really work very well.  Pulling the anchor, chain and rope, in and out, of the anchor locker is a pain in the a$$, particularly, if it's lumpy.

i suggest you keep your working anchor in the large front hatch.

Second on the SeaClaw, original from http://www.reelcharterfishing.com/anchor.htm. Use to have 12lb, great inshore flats, but had to add chain for ripping current deeper. Moved up to 18lb without chain and works great deeper water and fast current. Also had Capt Kevin Lubold make the anchor cross beam longer, 18", to hang better in anchor locker of Pathy without side to side movements.

Well, I hate to throw out a different view with so many Sea Claw users BUT...

I use a 5 lb Danforth Hi Tensile with 5 ft of chain.  The Hi Tensile part is key.  I think this anchor will hold a 30 foot boat in 20 kts of wind.  I've never had any issues with it holding no matter what the current or wind.  It is the only anchor that I will use and then leave the boat for a few hours for a walk down the beach.

This love affair with the Danforth Hi Tensile began years ago when I owned a 30 foot sailboat and we were anchored in Nantucket Harbor with a storm coming in. I put out 2 anchors, one, the big storm anchor and the second, at a 45 degree angle, was our smallish lunch hook, a Hi Tensile.  I don't remember the size.  During the night, the wind shifted slightly placing all the load on the small anchor and it held!  Had it dragged, the big anchor would have taken over but it held.  I've been a fan ever since.

2 hours ago, Ron in Atlanta said:

Well, I hate to throw out a different view with so many Sea Claw users BUT...

I use a 5 lb Danforth Hi Tensile with 5 ft of chain.  The Hi Tensile part is key.  I think this anchor will hold a 30 foot boat in 20 kts of wind.  I've never had any issues with it holding no matter what the current or wind.  It is the only anchor that I will use and then leave the boat for a few hours for a walk down the beach.

This love affair with the Danforth Hi Tensile began years ago when I owned a 30 foot sailboat and we were anchored in Nantucket Harbor with a storm coming in. I put out 2 anchors, one, the big storm anchor and the second, at a 45 degree angle, was our smallish lunch hook, a Hi Tensile.  I don't remember the size.  During the night, the wind shifted slightly placing all the load on the small anchor and it held!  Had it dragged, the big anchor would have taken over but it held.  I've been a fan ever since.

I agree with Ron, a 5 lbs Danforth Hi Tensile anchor's holding power is amazing.  I keep one in the front locker.

• 2 weeks later...
On May 29, 2016 at 1:28 PM, SeaVuPlay said:

Second on the SeaClaw, original from http://www.reelcharterfishing.com/anchor.htm. Use to have 12lb, great inshore flats, but had to add chain for ripping current deeper. Moved up to 18lb without chain and works great deeper water and fast current. Also had Capt Kevin Lubold make the anchor cross beam longer, 18", to hang better in anchor locker of Pathy without side to side movements.

What he said.  Sea Claw for the win.  

The 5/8" is easier on the hands if you have to deploy and retrieve very many times....striper fishing here is in December is usually very cold , mostly rainy, and we move around which means put anchor out, get it in, repeat process many times ,   the larger dia does not kink like smaller dia and with gloves on in winter time, it's easier to grip.   For summer and fall season...now that I have installed the MinnKota 112 I Pilot, I find myself using the anchor much less on wrecks or crab pots, buoys, etc...fishing for trout, reds,  tripletail or cobia. The anchor lock feature is amazing.  I'm sure there are fisherman with other ideas about dia of anchor ropes, length of rods, bait choices, etc....I have just found over the years that I like the 5/8".  

Like what everyone said... SeaClaw! I actually have a Fortress FX-7 that I used for the last 2 years. It worked pretty good with about 4' of chain, but there were plenty of times i would have to reset it or it would drag. Overall, it worked good... but nothing like the SeaClaw. I got a SeaClaw just recently and while I may not need it I just used the 4' of chain because I have it on the rope already. That thing drops like a rock and sticks first time, everytime I have used it so far. It grabs immediately and I couldn't be more impressed. 12 lb SeaClaw, don't see how you could beat it. Rig it with zip ties so if it gets hung up you can bust the zip ties off and pull it out backwards. 

Josh B.

12987073_1037289416337270_4178553962436730351_n.jpg

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 10:50 PM, Capt. Tyler said:

What he said.  Sea Claw for the win.  

I went the other way with regard to the cross beam. I cut mine down to about 4 inches per side so it's easier to place the anchor in the locker. My anchor sits on the pile of rope. I also mounted a S/S hook on the lip of the anchor locker, under the hatch lid. I just loop the rope around the hook so it's real easy to reach. I'll look for a pic.

DSC02126_zps2af7a727.jpg

All the rope and anchor goes in the bottom of the locker, and the last couple feet of rope loops around the S/S hook on the left. Easy to reach without lying on the deck and reaching into the locker.

Archived