Jack plate coming off transom!

Smoak352

So I purchased a 2002 21' Hewes last month, and have run into a problem.  My wife and I went down to Captiva last weekend and on the third day I noticed the jack plate was coming loose from the boat!  As you can see in the picture, the bottom bolts are fine, but the top two bolts were very loose.  

It turns out, the bottom two bolts had very large washers, but the top two bolts had no washers and the bolts pulled through the transom!!!  I contacted the guy I purchased it from and he said the jack plate has never been taken off and it must have been that way from the factory.  I am waiting on the marina to let me know what kind of damage I am looking at.

IMG_0773.JPG

Mine was starting to do this as well.  Not to the extreme as yours, maybe 1/16" at most.  Mine had an aluminium transom bracket on the bottom but only washers on top.  You could see the start of a  small depression from the top washers.  I was lucky and caught it before any damage was done.

While you are in there you might want to check the stainless plate. My top screws were starting to wear from the motor being just a bit loose on the transom.

Yeah when I repowered with the VMax, replacing the lighter ProV 200, I put one of these transom plates across the top bolts just for insurance. At that time they were offering free engraving, so they engraved it "Hewes LT20". It's held up very well and gives the transom a little added protection against bolt pull-thru. Mine always had big washers there, but I thought the transom plate offered a little more protection for the heavier HPDI setup. Pretty sad if whoever rigged your boat didn't even put the big washers on those bolts.

Vance Machine MFG ;Aluminum Transom Plates

JP%20Lift%20Gauge%20Transponder_zpsrjt0o

-Mike

I just dealt with that last month. Mine had a small washer barely bigger than the bolt head, and over the past 15 years the stainless galled the aluminum enough for the washer to pull through and bind into the aluminum. The factory used a piece of angle for the plate and due to lack of space between the bolts and the top cap, the bolt holes were drilled very close to the bend in the angle. This is why they couldnt use a normal sized washer. I was able to catch it in time before it got to the point where yours is. I made a new aluminum backing plate plate and its good now.

I'm not a mechanic or expert......I just have my motor off a weekend or two ago to raise the motor on the mounting holes......

Pull the motor off the jack plate, take jackplate off, slide bolts out.......see how bad.....its probably not as bad as you think, 

Dry out the transom near holes if needed, fill with 5200, let set a bit.....re-mount jackplate with large large washers or plates.......

Tighten up good and use new lock washers.....Re-mount motor and go fishing......

This assumes the holes are not worked out large enough that you need glass work and re-drill to bolt hole size.......

• 2 weeks later...

Got all new 4 bolts (all 4 were bent) with grade 8 hardware.  The washers are big but are too close to the edge so I trimmed the edges. Does anyone know the torque specs?  Should I call Hewes or Bob's Jack Plates for specs?  I took the boat out this weekend and the bolts have backed out about 1/8". Obviously need to tighten more. Filled with 5200 but need to re-seal now. 

Are you using nylon lock nuts? I dont have a jack plate but Im guessing the bolts go all the way thru the transom and bolt to the other side. If it keeps being a problem I guess you could drill a hole in the bolt right past the nut once its tightened up and throw a cotter pin in it. Just a thought.

I'm surprised that Hewes doesn't offer an engraved aluminum transom plate.  They certainly put them on all the Pathfinders going out the factory door.  In fact, when Master Repair put a jack plate on my 2007 2200V several months ago, they got a brand new plate from Pathfinder just because the old plate was dull from oxidation.

IMG_1541.JPG

the 5200 quick dry is even better.  You can get tubes of it for a caulking gun at LOWES... reasonably priced.

if you dont use the whole tube, squeeze out a little form the end and let it dry.   It will seal itself and hold for storage for a later use.....

I'm surprised that Hewes doesn't offer an engraved aluminum transom plate.

I would think they do as well, my last one had one.  On the 21 there is no slpashwell and the mounting bolts are in the bilge.  No need for a fancy bracket as no one will see it, heck it is hard to see the top bolts even with you head in the bilge.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived