Replace Tilt Seal 90 Yamaha

trf97

My tilt cylinder has been leaking for some time now and I need to replace the seal on it. I know I need a tool to take off the cap and the removal and replacement piece doesn't look that bad. But, how do I fill up the reservoir with fluid afterwards? Can someone post a pic of where to put fluid and maybe some instructions so I know if I have enough fluid in it?

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity what tool are you going to use? I tried 3 spanner wrenches and none of them would budge it, and one broke. Tried multiple times over the period of a week with the spanner wrench and couldn't get it. Decided to try a pipe wrench (make sure it's only on the cylinder cap!) and had it off in 30 seconds with no issue. Not sure on how to refill fluid as I just changed the dust seal. Good luck!

I had to replace seals a while back while the boat was on the trailer.  Here is how I refilled the fluid reservoir: 

1.  Buy the proper Trim / Tilt oil, go to a drug store and get a small plastic syringe, track down a disposable plastic cup.

2. Lower the tongue jack all the way.  Manually pull the engine to the full tilt position and lock it in place.

3. Remove the reservoir cap and use the syringe to slowly fill the reservoir then replace the cap.

4. Release the Tilt lock and slowly raise and lower the engine several times then lock it in the full tilt position.

5. Repeat Step 3 and 4 again.

6. Once completed, use the power trim / tilt switch to raise and lower the engine a couple of times to work the air out of the system, then recheck the reservoir level one final time.

I had the same problem with a leaking seal. I attempted to remove the center ram but it was corroded tight, i ended up breaking the tool that you spin the nut with. I then attempted to remove the tilt trim assembly with the motor affixed to the boat with no such luck. I had to remove the motor from my boat. I then had to spread the corroded mounting brackets apart to remove the tilt trim assembly. I ended up purchasing a remanufactured tilt trim and reinstalled it back on the motor. I thought it was going to be a simple job, NO WAY!, what a pain in the arse it was. 

Archived