95 Master Angler 18

BrettN

New to the site and new to this boat. I've read a ton on here and I've been wantin one for a long time and finally picked one up this weekend. She could use some TLC but it's solid as a rock and it was a heck of a deal in my opinion. After taking it for a test run I'm more than satisfied. After a lot of scrubbing I got the inside lookin about as white as its gonna get for now. Next step is to try to get some shine back on the hull. Looking for any suggestions on what method and products would be best. Any help would be appreciated 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Ah!  So YOU got that one.  Yes, if that thing checked out, you got one hell of a deal.  I paid nearly that for my 87 MA, so feel good about her!  

That thing will clean up as shiny as you like with a little elbow grease.   First thing you want to check is make sure you are dealing with gel coat and not paint, though - that keel makes me wonder.   

Assuming it is all gel coat, here's what I did:

- I took my time - made it a 6 a.m. to 6:30 a.m. project.  Every morning, I used painters tape and taped off a 3' section of the hull.  Starting with 400 grit (wet) sandpaper, I sanded down the biggest scratches, then worked my way to 600 grit, 800 grit, 1000 grit, 1200, 1500, then 2000.  Each time I stepped up in sandpaper, I slightly increased the area I sanded.  With the 400, stay as close to the scratch as you can.  By the time you get to the 2000 grit, I was pretty much covering the entire taped off area, and with the 2000 you get a dull shine.  Do not skip a step - you will see the sandpaper swirl marks if you do.  Your shoulders will get really buff by the time you make it all the way around the hull.   Once I got to the 1500 paper, I used my small orbital sander and used it for both the 1500 and the 2000 grit.

- After I finished the wet sanding, I used a west marine rubbing compound (they have a series, I think this was the second to last step)  and a lambs wool pad on my orbital sander.  This was the fun part of the job.  When you finish this, you think, "Man, I can see my reflection in this thing!"  But you aren't done.  Follow that up with the 3M polishing compound - again, I used a lambs wool pad.  I kept a spray bottle handy and used that to rinse down the boat.   Keep plenty of clean rags around and be ready to wash them frequently.  One grit of sand from the garage floor and you will have to go back a few steps.

It took me about two weeks of 30-45 minute sessions each morning, but the finished product looked pretty amazing.  The good news is, like me, you have nothing to lose.  Start in a spot you aren't afraid to screw up, and you will quickly gain confidence.  YouTube is full of how-to videos.  

Here are a few pics of the process:

rps20150928_162414.jpg

rps20150928_162444.jpg

rps20150928_162502.jpg

20151003_151810.jpg

rps20151003_153144.jpg

rps20151003_153215.jpg

rps20151003_153240.jpg

rps20151003_153303.jpg

rps20151003_153325.jpg

Thanks for the info man. I think I'm gonna try and turn it into a one weekend project. Was your hull as oxidized as mine to begin with? I hope I can get the same shine as yours and get it to last. Also did you replace your rub rail and where did you get it? I want to replace mine but with black rope. 

2 hours ago, BrettN said:

Thanks for the info man. I think I'm gonna try and turn it into a one weekend project. Was your hull as oxidized as mine to begin with? I hope I can get the same shine as yours and get it to last. Also did you replace your rub rail and where did you get it? I want to replace mine but with black rope. 

You can probably do it in a weekend if you start early, my issue was more the muscles it required - pretty rough on the back when you are working those scratches.  Plus, I have 4 kids - hard to break away for long periods!

When I started mine, no, it wasn't as oxidized as yours, but I suspect it had been before I bought it.  The guy I bought it from mentioned that he had wet sanded it before he sold it to me, so it may have been as bad or worse at that point.  I wouldn't worry, though, unless it has been done before, you've got plenty of gel coat under that oxidation - I will bet good money you'll get good and shiny - just watch for discoloration - if you run into a "stain" as you sand, slow down, you maybe getting thin in that spot.  

As for the rub rail, I think that's original, or was replaced before I bought it.  If you want black rope, just replace the rope - it comes out pretty easily.  Hurricane on this forum recently re-did his rope.  There is a product that will bring that rubber back to almost new - 303 Aerospace protectant.  Stuff is amazing. 

• 2 weeks later...

It took all weekend but managed to get most of the color and some shine back. Looks like a whole different boat! Let's just hope it stays that way. Now on to the deck. Anyone have any opinions or experience with seadek?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

There's a ton of info on sea deck on here - Try a search on the site for general information, but if you have specific questions, post them in the general forum.  Chances are, they've all been answered a dozen times, though, so do a search on the site first!

She looks GREAT, btw, keep the pics coming!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks fellas. She's comin along nicely.  It's a true money pit but who's countin. Converted the bennetts to Lenco's (which I highly recommend), sweet new stereo system, plumbed a new livewell, under gunnel lighting, got seats made, and a windshield on the way, among other things. By far the best boat I've ever fished on.

IMG_1705.JPG

IMG_1716.JPG

IMG_1717.JPG

IMG_4730.JPG

IMG_1736.JPG

Man, love to see you getting her back to new.  I need to get a new seat made for my Mav.  I have owned mine for a few years now, and I am more impressed with the hull every time I take it out.  10,000 boats on the intracoastal the other day and I hit a wake at a speed that was waaaaay too fast.  I braced myself to have my teeth knocked out on the landing, but it did what it always does - landed with that "magic carpet ride" cushion.  Love that boat.

Yea I love the ride. It's definitely a step up from the flat bottom aluminum boat I had before, yet it's still not quite up to my girlfriend's standards. She hates any kind of spray. I take a lot of long runs across Tampa bay and it seems like no matter what direction I'm heading there's a cross wind. Has anybody ever thought of putting those spray rails they have on the hpx's on a MA?

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I did the impossible Thursday and killed the motor everyone told me you couldn't kill while I was down in pine island. Luckily I was there with a bunch of buddies and still got to fish but I'm back home now and I can't ignore it anymore so I gotta decide between new, used, or rebuild it. I just missed a deal on an older 150 vmax. But toward the new side I like the new 115 vmax, saves 100 pounds and a couple grand from a 150. The 130 pushed the boat around for years and I have no complaints power wise but would that new 4stroke have the nuts to do what I need it to do? I love the boat and plan to keep it a lot longer. Hoping to hear everyone's opinions to help me make this decision and thanks in advance

Oh man, I hate to hear that!   I can tell you that my 87 had a 115 on it  (a 1988 2 stroke yamaha).   I easily got 43-44 MPH out of her with 2 full grown men and tackle.   It depends on what your ideal speed is.   My 87 was a lot lighter than my 2000 MA, so I don't know where your 95 falls in that spectrum but it looks more like my 87 than my 2000 weight wise.   

I don't think a 115 is going to be a dog, but it definitely isn't going to get north of 45 mph.   A 150 is going to be VERY fast, my 2000 gets 54 mph top end and that speed rattles my nerves (but I can't help taking advantage of it every time I'm out there).    You have  a jack plate, but the set back looks minimal, don't think that's going to be a big factor.   

Not sure I know what I'd do in your situation, but hope the info above helps some.   Generally speaking, though, the incremental cost of the extra horsepower is going to be a lot cheaper than deciding later that you wish you'd gone with the 150.

• 8 months later...

Lots of new goodies. Got a used F150 a while back and I like it more and more every time I take it out. No choke and no smoke it's just like driving a car. It's got plenty of a** and it'll hit 50 mph. It's a big son of a gun though and I had to get my poling platform raised 8". Powder coated that and my grab bar white to match the power pole, new cables and gaskets on my hatches, new megaware keel guard. 

IMG_2089.JPG

IMG_2083.JPG

IMG_2084.JPG

Archived