HPS 250 vs 300

Stricklyoutdoors

I am in the market for a HPS, trying to get real world speed numbers guys with 250sho vs 300 is it worth getting the 300???? 1/3 MPH is all i am reading guys getting difference not understanding why. 

P.S-- i don't want your light weight 20 gallons of gas one guy numbers running with the wind and tide getting 70+ looking for realistic numbers. 

If you want shallow water performance the SHO wins it has more torque down low and a 20 inch shaft. 

The F300 has a 25 inch shaft about 30 more horsepower but is tuned for top end performance so you don't get that SHO holeshot.

Both motors will push the boat into the low to mid 60's depending on how boat is rigged and loaded, batteries in console or hatch behind leaning post,T top

or not, trolling motor or not...............

ChrisB is spot on. 

Rigged for fishing, 3 people - 60 mph with the 250 SHO all day.  Wind and current and weight will affect your numbers. I've seen 65 mph. At 5000 rpm I'm going about 54-55 mph. Batteries (4) behind leaning post, no t-top. Jackplate all the way down. 

Thanks guys i am leaning towards the sho, cause of the short shaft and the fact i don't see the that great of numbers difference to justify the 25 inch shaft with the 300. I will have a stand up custom (not pathfinder) livewell not a leaning post but only used when guiding not when I need the speed because of the weight issues with that huge well full. I have not yet decided on the batteries in the hatch in the floor has anyone had issues with them being located in that hatch?

Also anyone spinning a Merc prop?

I have always found them faster than any others and killer hole shot i run a rev4 now on my 22 tourney.

Merc props are fine just make sure you have the correct thrust washer, and use the flo torq hub with the rear insert.

I use the rear hatch for fenders, dock lines, wade boots, flip flops......   I have four batteries under the console everything

is right there so rigging is clean and easy, if you use aft hatch then charger and battery leads need to rerouted and extended.

If you are installing a big livewell you probably don't need any more weight back there batteries forward might balance the load better

Thanks ChrisB I have used Merc props on all my boats for the last 7/8 years. 

Thank you for the info, much appreciated I don't want to be making changes after its built so trying to load up on info and changes guys would make to what setups they have. Any other info on changes I am open ears.  

Get the bow lifting cleat option if you tie off to bridges, or oil rigs in strong current or chop it wont get beat up its tied into the bow eye with stainless all thread so you are not just pulling on the deck cap. Spring line cleats are a must have, and if you get tabs have the factory install the Lenco switch kit. Get the Transducer installed at the factory as well. The Edson Steering wheel is worth the extra money.

Lenco Switch

I have had my 2300 for about 6 weeks now with 250 sho. Last weekend with 2 guys, 35 qt cooler of ice, roughly 35-40 gallons of fuel and all the normal stuff  for fishing  I saw 65 mph. This was in flat water with no wind/current. I didn't even try adjusting  the jackplate  any as it was on 2-3. I am a about 10 hours so I am not running it at a constant speed for long periods.  

My 22 tournament liked choppy water for speed. I really haven't pushed the 2300 much but I think it's going to be a 62-63 mph everyday and under the right conditions 65-67. 

I have the 21T yamaha salt water series II  3 blade.  Not sure if this is going to be the right prop yet but I like it so far. I believe it to be about 8-10 mph faster than  the 22 (f250). I would love to hear if anyone has any experience with this prop. 

At WOT, I get about 5300 rpm and 57 mph with the engine down. When I trim the engine and get the step out of he water, the boat launches from 57 to low to mid 60s. It's really impressive when this happens. 

Have they done something to lighten or balance the new 23 hps? Always heard the 23 hps was a low 60 boat but recently chris b and now ay wolf are posting 63-66 numbers. Rick murphy just recently stated he hit 67.9 i believe, but for all we know he could be running a yamaha sho prototype under the cowling (farfetched of course), like a 300 sho or something

Skip, any minor changes done or something?

I guess I should add that I do have a trolling motor and twin power poles. My (3)) batteries are in the console. The first time I ran full throttle I got to 64. I didn't play around with jackplate much then either. These numbers are off of the GPS as the new 6y guage  reads even faster.

i have a tournament this weekend and coming back I may try to see what she will do with a live well full. 

linesider your good man id like to know also. 

5 hours ago, aywolf said:

I guess I should add that I do have a trolling motor and twin power poles. My (3)) batteries are in the console. The first time I ran full throttle I got to 64. I didn't play around with jackplate much then either. These numbers are off of the GPS as the new 6y guage  reads even faster.

i have a tournament this weekend and coming back I may try to see what she will do with a live well full. 

please update with tourney numbers if you open her up in the AM numbers and also run back numbers would be great.

I would like to find out if PF will do carbon kelvar hatch lids in the HPS... Skip? not sure how much difference it would make but should shave a few pounds off. 

A buddy is getting 60/62 with a 4 blade he hasn't done much prop testing but i am sure he's following this post so keep up the info boys thank you!!

I will be glad to post numbers both ways if the weather allows. We will be making a 20-25 mile open water run in the pamlico sound and the way the wind has been its possible we may not be able to run WOT. 

This will be the first tourney in the new boat so I will be doing all I can to win the race at blast off. We had 49 boats at last tourney and it's every man for himself after the Captains meeting. They don't draw for blasting order.

At the last tourney there was a 25 foot Tidewater bay with a 400. I hear he has gotten to 77 and expects to reach low 80s when propped right. There will also be a new Triton 26 bay with a 350 there making its debut.

First photo is with my signature boat and a HS4-22P SDS. 

Second photo is with my signature boat and a SWS-23P SDS. 

*3 men, 6 poles, full gear, center live well full, and engel cooler fully loaded with beverages and ice. 

This hull needs air under the hull to run top speed. Running in light chop is when I achieved my top speeds. Smooth water and the drag reduces the speed down by about 2-3 mph. 

The 300 offers digital controls, silent shifting, and 5 inches more skeg to drag the ground. No seriously my skeg's gray paint is missing from trying to run skinny water.  The 250 sho excels in this area of shallow water capabilities.  I wish Yamaha would step up its game with the steering department. I feel as though these motors at wide open have a good amount of torque steer and though I have not driven a Verado or Etec G2, I suspect the electric steering overcomes the torque steer issues.  

Did you get the swim platform with the twin power pole setup? If so how is the clearance with the power pole down and the swim ladder?

image.png

image.png

image.jpeg

When I took delivery of my 23 with a 250 SHO it came with a 3 blade Yamaha prop. I could consistently get 64 mph running light. But, the prop had no grip. It would cavitate in turns, when running the surf and running against a hard tide (in inlets). I tried all combinations of trim and jack-plate, but nothing would stop the prop from breaking loose. My dealer switched props to a 4-blade Yamaha and this prop grips just fine, but I lost speed. Down to 61 mph.

4 hours ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

When I took delivery of my 23 with a 250 SHO it came with a 3 blade Yamaha prop. I could consistently get 64 mph running light. But, the prop had no grip. It would cavitate in turns, when running the surf and running against a hard tide (in inlets). I tried all combinations of trim and jack-plate, but nothing would stop the prop from breaking loose. My dealer switched props to a 4-blade Yamaha and this prop grips just fine, but I lost speed. Down to 61 mph.

Have you tried a bravo? They are very fast 4 blades and i bet they would work well with the hps. I would have to try very hard to get it to lose grip

Hope this helps, these are the %'s of what is sold on the 23HPS:

12 MONTHS INVOICED ENGINE % AS OF 02/16:

MOTORF150LB 0%
MOTORF200XB 6%
MOTORF200XCA 6%
MOTORF250NCA 2%
MOTORF300NCA 14%
MOTORVF150LA 2%
MOTORVF200LA 2%
MOTORVF250LA 68%

22 hours ago, linesider 159 said:

Have you tried a bravo? They are very fast 4 blades and i bet they would work well with the hps. I would have to try very hard to get it to lose grip

No, that's the only two props I've tried. I hear there is a guy in Venice or Sarasota that has lots of props and will let you take several and run them. Wish I knew the name of his shop. I'd like to hit 65 mph, but not willing to spend $700 to do it.

I have out run 2 of them doing 62 MPH. Maybe they catch me in the long run but my experience running a loaded one with the 300 is 63 MPH.

My boat with 50 gallons of fuel, full wells, 2 cast nets, 3 people, 4 batteries with 2 forward will run close to 60. It will also get out of the hole with break neck speed

LOOK for balance between hole shot, cruise and speed. Unless you tournament fish a lot there is no reason to compromise over all performance with a go fast prop. I own a 3 blade that will put my boat to 64 MPH light. If I had to run that prop every day I would sell my rig.

I have out ran several new 23 HPS boats from simply blowing them out of the hole. Yep, they caught me later but I had already stopped to fish.

Way to many variables and options on boats to tell anyone what is the best prop for their needs.

Add a stepped hull, jack plates with various set back lengths into the mix and weight along with balance and prop grip will change the game even more.

One more thing, anything much over 50 MPH is only fun for the driver. I know, I have set in the passenger seat with my wife running my boat at 60. White knuckles is all I can say.:(

Ok here are some numbers from today With a full tank of fuel (60gallons I think), center live well full of water,  65 qt  Engall cooler full of beer, drinks and ice, and 3  people ( 245 lbs 210 lbs 180 lbs)  plus gear. I  was able to hit 61.5 on the gps just after leaving the ramp. No wind or current. I didn't keep it at full throttle for long or try to squeeze any extra out of it but I don't think she had much more.  Jackplate was around 2.5. Coming back in with roughly 15 to 20 less gallons of gas, some of the beer recycled out of the boat and a few specks as passengers, I was just under 63 mph. Had a light chop coming back which was quartering behind us but the wind wasn't helping.

Archived