Capt DonH and Dino: Da Boyz Are Back !!! We Done Found DA FEEESH Again

After weeks of striking out....we found da feesh again......

Well....after weeks of NADA..we are back into the groove....

I almost cancelled due to a full moon and strong 4.5ft tide, but, the weather laid down, we had a great incoming, so we decided to go.

After a delay at the bait shop due to NO shrimp....we got on the water at 0730....the plan was to round South of Chatham to our old haunts and see if any of our friends were around..

Tide was low and the winds were a bit stronger than forecast, so I had to run the skinny mini back in the bights South of Chatham to avoid the open water....we were running with the sharks and the rays back int the skinny and DonH was holding on.....a few bumps, lot of spraying mud, but, the ride was smooth as silk...

First stop was a ledge on the outside....water heading into the spot was about 1 foot, but, there was a ledge around an island that was a few feet deep and the snook were waiting for breakfast....

We hit two in short order - one on shrimp and popping cork and the other on a lady chunk.

26561236864_508cc32a70_k.jpg

27072185702_f6ec11d302_k.jpg

26892873200_425f8a611b_k.jpg

After several smaller feesh...we moved up into the bights.....

here's another nice snook from in the bights....yep, da popp'n cork and jig with a shrimp...nothing more, nothing less :)

27072190712_0fc3968021_k.jpg

As the tide rushed in, we needed to stop for some dinner....so, we looked for our friends up in bights....here is where they live :)  Yes, this is a secret spot (LOL)...

They all look the same.......hard to say why this one holds reds and why others don't.....

We found this youngester who made it home.....poppn' cork and jig and the result....the key, I will tell you, and Don can vouch...is precision casting....i can put a popp'n cork within 2' of a mangrove under branches and this is where they sit.....learn to cast = feeeesssshhhhh.  If you look to the bottom left, you can see DonH the chunk king, getting ready !!!!  Lady feeesh chunk at the ready (LOL).  We hit one nice snook and several reds with the Chunk rig.....easy feeeshing with chunk and our friend - Mr. Rod Holder.

SECRET SPOT :)

26562758043_adeca8b811_k.jpg

SECRET FEEEEESH :)

27134131626_eb0d8545fc_k.jpg

26562763993_7265af7921_h.jpg

GREAT DAY IN DA-T

I like this boat more and more we fish it...side console is great...she's so light I never worry about getting caught in the bights or running aground..easy to travel - bought her for $8K.  In the morning, I took her up into the bars around Chokoloskee on the outgoing low...I would have never done that in my Pathy....but, with the skinny Mini..there is no where I can't go..and when it gets rough...I get up in the skinny and run the bights.....yes, when the winds blows you get wet, yes, it gives you a bit of a beating when rough...but, that only lasts for 15-20 min as you cross open water....

Until the next time.....great day with my buddy on the water....

dc

• 1 month later...

Archived