LT20 Cave plate still burried

BaitTank

Anyone have any thoughts......

Running a yamaha 150 2 stroke on a 95 hewes.  Pulled the motor yesterday to raise the motor.  Was at bolt hole #1 (lowest setting).  I raised the motor to the 3rd hole..  the cavitation plate is still burried......I'm not sure moving to the 4th bolt hole will get the cavitation plate at the water line at WOT.......Looks like I need over an inch to get there.  If a jack plate is not recommended for this hull, how did everyone get the proper mounting height for this hull / cavitation plate level?  Two guys were in the boat.....200lber driving and one hanging over the stern looking.... I dont usually have the extra 200lber hanging over the transom (may have a little effect on testing).  The water line at WOT is just above the step on the hull. 

thoughts anyone?

yup, trimmed up.  I can only see the last 3 inches of the cav plate.......the front half of the plate is burried

Also, raising the motor, I may have lost some bow iift.......Before I lifted the motor and after, once I exceed 30-35 with this hull, the bow slams down.......and stays there.

This may just be the dynamics of this hull?  It may not be made to have bow lift at 40-45 mph?  thoughts?  I need more bow lift.......having the engine mounted low, I think forced more bow lift (leverage)....  

Rnning a pwertec 3 blade with light cup.....and rake....

Who said a jackplate's not recommended for the LT20 hull ? They almost all came with a jackplate. That was one of the first things you checked off when ordering one ! Don't ever be afraid to add a jackplate to your Hewes. Oh, and tell the fat guy to sit in the seat in front of the console too :D

-Mike

NewYamahaHPDI_zpsc9xysx5g.jpg

I just put a manual jack plate on my 95 18 redfisher. Its not ideal for that boat but it does allow me to fine tune the hieght of the engine. I normally run with at least 2 people and a cooler up front full of ice. My batteries and fuel tank are up front as well. I did notice the other day when I was testing my prop that with just me on the boat and no cooler in the front my cavataion plate was below the water like your describing. i may have had to much trim going on. When i ran it before then normally loaded it seemed to ride right at the top of the water line like it should. I'm not sure if it was a weight distribution thing of not. Anyways I would call Marcus at Powertech Props and ask him. He seems to know everything there is to know about Hewes (speed, hole shot, performance). I personally like my jack plate but some say its not meant to be.

Archived