2015 2400 TRS live well pump motors

Docsuds

So one of the salesman's selling points when looking at pathfinder was that the 800gph shurflo piranha pumps are modular.  "You're out fishing, your live well pump dies, you just grab unscrew this ring, pull out the motor, unplug the quick connect power, then grab your spare, screw it tight, plug in the quick connect, and you're fishing!"

Ok, that's pretty cool.

So one of my pumps went out when I was fishing last month.  No spare.  What a dumb-@$$!

So I take my boat to dealer today for some other work, ask them to replace the pump motor, and grab me a second motor for a spare.

She tells me 1) you can only get the 500gph motor; the 800gph motors aren't available, and 2) you can't get them with the quick connect (deutsch connector).

Huh?  The pumps that are in there are 800s, and they come to dealer from PF with deutsch connectors... And she says they can't order them from PF.

Anybody come up against this craziness?

Thanks for any advice!

I pulled up the Shurflow 800 Piranha pump on Amazon for about $42.  Now whether it has the plug in connector.....that is another story.  I kind of doubt you can buy the pump with a Duetsch connector.  These kind of homogenous items.....you don't usually order from Pathfinder.  You usually get them online, or brick & mortar marine stores like West Marine, Bass Pro, or your dealer.

Well, that verifies what she said, thanks guys!

since the boat is 4 hours away, I don't have one of those pumps handy to look at wire size and deutsch connector. 

You guys happen to know which deutsch connector matches the one already on the boat?

I see 3 2-pin sizes available -

12-14 AWG
14-16 AWG
16-20 AWG

thanks!

scott

Not sure, but I would guess the pumps have 16 ga wire.  If you have a Pathy dealer nearby, go and look at another new one on the lot.   OR, you can call Ray at Pathfinder.  He's pretty good at all the components going in these boats.

I have purchased a replacement Pirhanha 800GPH cartridge at West Marine, although not all West Marines carry them in stock.  Best to call ahead or order online and pick up in store or ship.  I didn't mess with the Deutsch connectors, just used epoxy lined butt connectors and then heat shrink over the butt connectors.  You may be able to make the change on the water, but I think it would partially ruin the day due to time in the bilge, etc.  If it is your main livewell that burns out on the water, you can switch the second livewell pump to the first one(wires were just long enough on my boat) temporarily as an option without cutting wires or removing connectors.  Just remember to use livewell 2 switch.  You can also put your raw water washdown hose into the livewell to give your bait a stream of water, run the recirc pump and turn on the aerator(if you have that option). Just some things help keep you fishing with live bait and hopefully fish in the cooler. Good luck.

x2 on West marine.... get the protection plan... I think they had a bad batch of those when I bought mine as I went thru a pump every 6-8 mo for the first 2-3 years.  I bought 2 spares keep 1 on the boat rigged and one at the house that way when one goes down I still have a spare to go in the boat.  Ive also swapped the release well pump into the livewell as I never use it anyway.  Next boat I will have both pumps plumbed into the livewell so no swapping is necessary Ill just hit the other switch.

Archived