Maybe a dumb question about the bait well

JEM

I have a 2007 2200V with just one plumbed bait well, the center aft well.  Sometimes, I like to keep left over shrimp overnight, in case I get to fish back to back days.  Unless I run the raw water bait pump, the water level leaks down to about 3 or 4 inches.   Using the long standpipe, I wish it would remain full because I have a recirc pump on a timer that adjusts the pumping interval.  My standpipe is obviously not sealing good, allowing the slow leakdown.  Is this normal, or would a new one (with new, pliable, rubber at the bottom) seal better, to prevent the slow leakdown?  If so, I need to buy a new one from Pathfinder!  See, I told you it might be a dumb question.

Also, does anybody know off the top of their head, what size is the prop nut on an F150?  Thanks for any advice.

put a few wraps of electric tape around it at the sealing point. mine is almost 14 yrs old and i do this every couple months. the water will destroy the sticky on the tape after a while, so you have to redo it every now and then. priced a new one and it's only $17. guess i'll get one-----some day.

Try making a seal. Use some RTV around the base kinda like a o ring would be, put it on the rubber of the stand pipe let it dry then install. Also put a bead around the spot where the PVC pipe meets the rubber fitting on the stand pipe.  Just a thought, no idea if it will work, but don't think it can hurt and its cheap.

All great responses.  I had not thought of the plug, so I found it in the "Store"  and just ordered one.  I am also going to try the tape trick.  GREAT ideas all.  Thanks for the prop nut size also.  I ordered the Yamaha 4 blade, but am not sure when I will get it because it is on back order. 

I bet its not leaking out thru the where the drain pipe inserts into the fitting.... maybe some but ive noticed that the level always stops just below the fitting where water enter into the well, so its draining out back thru the livewell pump / intake

7 minutes ago, FINCHASER said:

I bet its not leaking out thru the where the drain pipe inserts into the fitting.... maybe some but ive noticed that the level always stops just below the fitting where water enter into the well, so its draining out back thru the livewell pump / intake

That might be it.  I could just shut off the sea cock!  Duh....I will check that out.  Thanks.

17 minutes ago, fishmanjj said:

Go to Home Depot or Ace hardware and get some white plumbers tape, used in everyday plumbing jobs....wrap the rubber section of stand pipe a few wraps and that should correct the leaking problem.

Thanks.  Between cutting seacock off and taping the rubber section of the drain pipe, I think this should hold the water 

level up.  Thanks all for the help!

• 1 year later...

I have a 2000 model Pathfinder 16' 10" with a 50 hp Yamaha. Owned it several years but lately the longer it stays in the water....the more water seeps into the hull. It will fill up the bow and seep up through the rear compartment. It doesn't run out when you start running the boat. But when you open the drain plugs here all the water comes. Has anyone else experienced anything like this. Tks!  I have plugged up the bait well hole for know but have not launched boat.

The best way to plug the livewell is to go to Home Depot in plumbing section and get a 1 1/2 inch test plug. Now go to hardware section and swap out the bolt and wing nut for stainless steel. It will fit snug but a few turns on the wing nut will seal it and there will be no leak down. Also good for closing it off without worry when using it for storage while running.

I put a frozen bottle of water in the baitwell water for pogeys while Tarpon fishing if the water is too warm for a bunch of them to survive. I'm sure it will work for shrimp too.... Just keep a couple in the cooler to add during the day in those hot August days. Take them back home and re-freeze for the next trip.

Bubblers are a far better  way to oxygenate the water. 

Recirculting pumps have 2 disadvantages.  first the water beating down is hard on bait and creates foam. second as the water goes thru the pump it gets heated by the pump motor over time especially  the portable ones you drop in the bait well.

If using a recirculating pump then the style with the small air line that produces bubbles and puts the water back down low is the best.

I prefer this style for baitfish  and just a bubbler for shrimp.  An old net in the tank is good for  shrimp as they will hold on and not use as much energy.

Archived