AmeraTrail trailer question

captaincowart

I need some feedback, I have a 2016 Pathfinder 2200 TE on an AmeraTrail trailer made for the boat. The boat fits the trailer great, but is now starting to wear the carpet out on the bunks and is harder to launch. I have used Liquid Rollers spray on the carpet and it helps, but I want to know if any other Pathfinder owners have put bunk slicks or pads on their bunks and has there been any issues with them scratching up the gelcoat on the hull, thanks.

I get 3-4 years out of my bunk carpet before it needs to be recovered.  I don't use any friction modifiers because I had a boat self launch one time after I used silicone on the bunks.  And I had an early morning swim to retrieve my boat, thank god it was warm.

I've used them on other boats in the past without problems also, I called AmeraTrail and they seemed to think they could scratch the bottom, which is why I want to get the feedback. Also, for Bamaskeet, as you probably know now, when launching with bunk pads, I always left the boat in gear and then would unhitch it from the trailer.

The bunks/carpet will scratch the bottom of you boat as well.  I have an Ameratrail and the bunks have scratched my boat.  I wouldn't think bunk pads would hurt and it might help extend the life of your carpet...I have thought about them but have not gone that route yet...

I agree skeetman68, the bottom of my Pathfinder is starting to scratch pretty good where the bunks are rubbing it. It doesn't want to float off easy when launching and I'm backing it in a little farther every time. I'm now backing it in to where the whole fender is just submerged, I'm thinking with the pads it might glide and float off without wanting to grab the carpet.

Definitely aware of that hurricane, also @ fin-addict, the carpet looks like standard bunk carpet, I think AmeraTrail makes a nice trailer, very precise measurements and will fit your boat like a glove, so not much play or movement when loading or launching. It's a great trailer for a ramp with a lot of current.

My personal opinion is it's the edge (end of) of the bunk boards (+ carpet ) that are doing the scratching.  And, the steeper the angle of the ramp you are using, the worse it will scratch.  I think if the edge on the bunk boards were sanded a little it would help...but, I don't think you're going to eliminate it.  BTW, I'm not knocking AmeraTrail...I think this is common with most boat trailers...

I use silicone spray on the bunks... slides off very well... just do NOT unhook the strap before it's in the water and the motor is running.  If you want just a little bit of help use a bar of dove soap on the bunks about every 4 launches... it isn't as slick as silicone.

My father had glide sticks on his trailer when he owned a 19' pathy... he had a preemie launch at Placida and learned the hard way... also, later on, the screws had a habit of backing out just a tad, now THAT will gouge your gelcoat pretty quick...

As stated above... stick with carpet and just use some silicone or dove... IMO.

i know i'll catch flack for this,but, i don't use anything on my treated lumber bunks. just bare wood. been doing it for 6 or 7 yrs. no scratches. my boat hangs in slings behind the house most of the time. i only use the trailer 5 0r 6 times a year. just got tired of replacing the carpet every  couple years. originally, i lost the carpet on a bunk driving to Fl. when i got home, there was no damage to the hull so i took the carpet off the other bunks. i did install another 2 x 4 under the bunk and perpendicular to it to keep it from bowing. giving it more full bearing the length of the bunk and not just in the area of the support brackets. maybe i've just been lucky. i also put strips of starboard on the inside of the fender wells instead of plywood. got tired of messing with them too.

On 5/17/2016 at 2:31 PM, skeetman68 said:

My personal opinion is it's the edge (end of) of the bunk boards (+ carpet ) that are doing the scratching.  And, the steeper the angle of the ramp you are using, the worse it will scratch.  I think if the edge on the bunk boards were sanded a little it would help...but, I don't think you're going to eliminate it.  BTW, I'm not knocking AmeraTrail...I think this is common with most boat trailers...

This scratching is caused by the bow digging into the bunks when loading. Sporttrail trailers uses white starboard bunks in between the regular bunks to mitigate this. Could be something to look into adding on an ameratrail

Go to Home Depot and get the outdoor carpet (Gray) and cover over the existing carpet unless it is totally worn off. It works great and is a little thicker than the original stuff. But be careful launching the boat or your going for a swim!!

And smooth move is right, if you can find good cypress wood use it and replace the fender well covers with starboard or the plastic wood used on fences, keeps that salt water from dripping on the axles all day after you launch.

I believe the Starboard is softer than Gelcoat, so unless you really ram the crap out of it, it shouldn't damage it.  I will be replacing mine in the future as well.  Real Xtreme used thin thin thin plastic and covered it with carpet, then cut out a notch in the center where the support is mid-fender... it's warped downward causing big holes from the tires rubbing them over bumps.  hasn't eaten through the carpet yet but it ain't far off.

That does look clean.

wow, that starboard does look nice instead of the waterlogged plywood that AmeraTrail used. I replaced mine a few years back with treated 1 x 6's and then re-carpeted with new carpet. Used the old plywood as pattern and cut the rounded edges with a jig saw. It came out good, but that starboard does look really nice. Why does AmeraTrail use plywood for that anyway ???

On 5/20/2016 at 0:38 PM, linesider 159 said:

This scratching is caused by the bow digging into the bunks when loading. Sporttrail trailers uses white starboard bunks in between the regular bunks to mitigate this. Could be something to look into adding on an ameratrail

I agree with linesider, attached are pics of my new Sport Trail and show the what linesider is referring to.

19939.jpeg

19932.jpeg

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 11:04 PM, jchern said:

Scfd. That looks clean. By any chance does it scratch the hull when it hits up against it. Seems like the carpet could protect the hull from any damage. 

No scratches so far. But, I load like an old lady. Get lined-up straight and just glide up slowly. That's the only pic I had, but after the first install, I removed the starboard and trimmed it down. Now, it just sticks up about 1/4" above the fender and the screw heads are recessed about 1/8".

This is what the fender looked like when I removed the plywood and carpet. Even after lots of rinsing, the salt still ate away at the aluminum fender. Covering the inside of the wheel well is a nice finishing touch, but most trailer manufacturers don't even bother.

DSC00468_zps4e917167.jpg

Archived