Swivel Rod holder

BaitTank

Anyone know the best spot to mount a swivel rod holder on an LT20?

Would the side gunnels be strong enough with the proper backing plates installed?

I assume with proper backing plate and proper use of Drag on the reel, this should not be an issue?  Running 50wide and 80-130 rod setup.  

thoughts?

I'm thinking left side just south of the gas tank cap?  

I fish for sharks on occasion, but don't use swivel rod holders. If you can walk on your gunnels, they should be strong enough to hold them.......I live down in the Keys, not in Miami, and they may do things differently way up there.

I don't think the decks on your skiff were made to handle a 50-W drag levels.  You could lift out a rod holder and see what the coring looks like. The small backing plates for Lee's swivels would not spread the load out enough, IMO.  Perhaps a larger aluminum plate with  5200 to the underside of the deck ??

A big Nasty, or getting hung up on bottom will put a lot of torque at that small point, unless you were disciplined with your drag settings till you pull the rod...

Shark pictures on an LT20 would be entertaining !!

we took a 600lb 98" bluefin tuna on a 50 wide last season and 130lb test......we became one with the drag settings.........LOL.

7hrs......to tail wrap...........fish and fisherman took a beating.........

I have a buddy who owns a metal shop.......I could get a large plate for the underside to distribute pressure.......

Thanks for response - will send photos when happens

M@

Archived