Garage (and a lil some thing else) build

justfish

Metal roof, Spray Foam Roof deck. Guy on my truck owns a spray foam company.  With full garage door and French doors on other side, it's been very tolerable with a nice cross breeze.  The foam should help some, but really just nice not to have the blown in insulation in attic.  Nice and clean up there and should increase my storage,

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got all plumbing and most electrical roughed in today. I put double outlets every 5 ft to so all the way around about 50" off ground so I could lean plywood against wall and still have access to them.  Put a few lower ones for appliances,etc and an addional one in ceiling over where boat will be parked just for charger. Put a fan box in center to help with airflow to dry boat.  Bath is plumbed and stubbed out behind it for an outdoor shower.

image.jpeg

Good idea.  I'm sure your guy knows what he is doing but make sure the closed doesn't touch the ground.  You could get some extruded (Blue Dow or Pink Corning) and dig a trough around the wall do the footer and then backfill against the board leaving top exposed.  Then run that closed above grade all the way up over the band joist and onto the floor.  There are differing opinions on this but you can actually run closed or open in the actual floor joists.  Only issue is the open is prone to moisture but he insulates well and also does a great job of eliminating sound from the other side of the wall/floor.  

19 hours ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

What's the openings near the floor behind the scaffolding? Fresh air intakes?

Stupid "flood' vents since I'm in a flood area.  I tried my best not to have to put them in, but no luck. I mean if it floods, I'm gonna open the garage door.  I did them so I can slide a piece of lap siding in after inspection and close them off. 

• 1 month later...

I'm just getting started on the same project... i'm going a little larger doing 22 wide and 45 deep with 12 foot ceilings. I'm making it long enough to put the boat in and still have plenty of room for a little workshop and storage. I figured go as big as I could as I've never felt like I have too much room. I'm also in a flood area and will be required to have flood vents. Now we are trying to get creative. Because of the depth and height my engineer is saying I will either have to go concrete block or use 2x8's which will be really expensive.

Is there anything you've found yet that you wish you would have done different? I am adding a floor drain so I can park the boat wet and wash out floor if needed. I'm also installing an exhaust fan with humidity sensor to try to keep it aired out to avoid mold, etc.

Josh B.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 0:53 PM, justfish said:

Stupid "flood' vents since I'm in a flood area.  I tried my best not to have to put them in, but no luck. I mean if it floods, I'm gonna open the garage door.  I did them so I can slide a piece of lap siding in after inspection and close them off. 

Moving from So. FL to No. FL I was required to have "flood vents". Had to cut holes in a perfectly good foundation to have them installed. Lived in a flood zone in Stuart and never was required to have them. If the foundation is sealed properly and is strong you shouldn't have any water issues. As for the garage, I agree, just open the door.

Yeah unfortunately I ran into same issue- going 12' ceiling was a huge increase in price cause it took 2x4" framing out. I just couldn't justify it....

Keep in mind you can do ceiling 1' over garage door and not 1.5' if you do a sidewinder opener.  I did 10' ceilings and still was able to do 9' door with about 2" of clearance. 

Nothing really different, just keep in mind 22' isn't that wide basically a standard two car garage.  One I started laying out where I wanted stuff, I realized the space goes quick.  I was limited by setbacks and a tree so I couldn't have done anything different. It I think I'd shoot for 25' + if I could.

I have the flood vents cut in between studs and just tall enough I should be able to slide a piece of siding in after inspection and cover them right up.  I am actually thinking I'm going to try and not even cut out drywall and strategically place stuff inside and see if I can slip it by.  Ha

@justfish - I'm limited on my width because of the property and setback on the lot line. Unfortunately 22' is the widest I can go, which is why I wanted it 45' deep. I want enough room to add an a/c office in the back and still have plenty of room for a workbench and storage. I wanted to go 12' ceilings with 10' door so I could potentially have a tower in the future and still fold it down and get inside. I would hate to lower down to 10' and 9' opening and not be able to make it. At this point it looks like i'll be doing concrete block which is going to cost more, but I really hate to downsize anything. Might just take a little longer for me to save enough to finish it up... especially with a baby on the way (arriving in November). I see you're in that same predicament as well. Congrats! 

Josh B.

You too Josh. Ours is due mid October. I can't wait....

Heres where in stand now. Putting last couple outlets in and last piece of ridge on roof today.  I couldn't justify spending the $ these guys wanted to finish the drywall when most was gonna be covered with shelves or cabinets anyways so gave it a whirl....

Prob gonna try and stain floor or build upper cabinets before weekend but I'm taking a break until after the 4th to start painting.  I'm wore out.  

• 2 weeks later...

Drywall is done, painted and I sealed floor.  I really wanted to do something cool with floor, but just running out of time.  This is behr wet look sealer seems to look pretty good at this point

My electrical and plumbing inspection done, got stuff from shed moved in and pavers are going down this week.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Archived