Do keeper snook have calendars?

DonV

It's been many, many, many years since I've kept a snook, however I decided to go out Tuesday and target snook hoping to take one home for dinner before the season closes. I found the 28" to 33" snook know they have to wait until Sunday to eat. I mean 27 1/2", 27", 26", many 24" and 25"ers, but no keepers. They were killing me.

They must use some kind of a calendar system! I guess there is always Sept. 1st to look forward to. Still a fun day!

Don,

I feel ya...did a log weekend on Sarasota Bay and caught close to 30 snook but no 28"'ers....the fella next to me on Saturday got a keeper...but wanted to measure it...after the bite stopped he brought it over to my boat...it was 28 1/2"....BINGO....I hated to hand it back over....but I was gentlemanly and gave it back...Hahahaha :/

I have only caught a handful of slot fish this spring on charters. They have all been released this year and I have not had to kill a one thankfully.

You might be surprised at the effort made by folks to catch and keep a legal snook. They get hammered when the season opens 24/7.

The slot fish don't have a calendar, they get dead. Is what it is and I love eating them and have killed my share for clients and personal consumption. I always wonder when I catch an over slot how many time that fish has been caught and released. Then she lives to get over slot and spends the rest of her days really ticking me off because she won't eat a thing I'm fishing with.

Bottom line is they don't have a calendar, they have a measuring stick taped to every mangrove root. If you measure in slot you use the root to cut yourself free. :)

I have one last Snook filet in my fridge right now, caught a keeper a few days ago. It was the only fish I caught that day. Can't remember the last Snook I took one home, I think one every 3,4,5 years is fair.

Went out a few days later and saw couple dozen slot to over slot fish, in different place through out the day. Not one would eat......

You got another day, get out there.

Archived