Cobia 217 Bilge Pump Issues

GulfGrouper

Hi,

After my last outing and removing the boat out of the water I realized by bilge had considerable water (rough day weather wise). I tested it out of the water and pump works immediately when turning on the manual switch. However when switch if off pump seems not to work even if I am well aware is hot wired.

The Attwood 4800 Automatic Switch looks good, just some rust on on the top side of the cell. I read about small test using a wet towel but could be a challenge reaching it. The Atwood HD1700 pump is factory (3+ years) old.

Any hints or tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks

If your boat is on a trailer tilt the bow up some, open the hull plug and hose out the auto switch. Crud can stop the float.

Put the plug back in and add water to the bilge till the float switch is covered. (Not too much water, tho !) The pump will come on if the switch is cleared. If not, turn on the manual switch to see if the switch should have worked automatically.  If this does not work, you have to figure out if the switch is bad, or there is a connection problem..

Also, I would figure out how the water is entering the bilge.

Mod-1

• 4 weeks later...

The switch is the digital version so seems there are no moving parts. Looks like the only test is to use a wet towel and touch both sides of the metal node at the same time to close the circuit. I filled up the bilge with fresh water and the pump did not turned on. Only turns on when the switch is on however it seems to fire up every time it gets power (initialize..) so I will try disconnecting & re-connecting battery #1 to test the hot-wire connection.

In regards water in the bilge, its coming from the top of the livewell which is obvious in rough days in the water. I will try sealing from the inside since impossible from the bilge. 

Thank for your response. 

• 1 month later...

My marina was supposed to work on this before my vacation and know its on jeopardy so I appreciate a quick response.

Does the three way Bilge pump switch allows for automatic float switch pump override and turn the pump on? (2013 Cobia 217). Its the Attwood automatic s3 electronic switch with no moving parts. It has some rust in the top sensor but that's the only issue I recall.

Archived