For those With HPDI Vmax Engines

Yoffer

**Disclaimer**

Modify your equipment/engine at your own risk, I do not accept any responsibility if you damage anything.

This is more or less a informational post than anything. I have a 2005 2200 TE with a 05' 200 hpdi 3.3l. Im turning a 22p ofx3 prop and normally the best I got on the top end was around 52mph with a fishing load and 2/3 people on board, but my rpms would run square with my mph. So WOT I was only seeing 5200 rpm. I really wanted to turn more RPM without compromising speed so that meant more power.

For those of you who know, the only difference on the 05's at least, the 200, 225, and the 250 all shared the same engine. The only between the 200 and the 225 were the ECU and the cam accelerator. On the 225 and the 250 the difference being the ECU.

I knew this a while ago after doing some light research on various forums. I knew I wasnt going to spend $1300+ for a brand new ECU so my search was cut short after coming up with nothing on online for a used one. Well Ive finally found a 05' 225 ecu in MI online and snagged it up. Ordered my new cam accelerator for a 225 and installed it.

From what I was able to gather online the engine would operate exactly the same as it did before until you got higher up in the RPM's. After installing it and firing it up on the hose, I was anxious to get out on the water to test it out. I was nervous because I had no idea if it was going to work or not and I was afraid I might have wasted $600.

I took it out over the weekend and the change is amazing. Im running 58mph at around 5600-5700 rpm and the motor is finally running like I believe it should. I ran it the entire day without any hiccups.

The load is just about where it would be while fishing with two people, including myself. I had my trolling motor on, cooler full of ice, all my poles (albeit in the rod lockers), 4 batteries, 8ft power pole, and a full tank of gas.

Be advised that yamaha changed the hpdi vmax ecu's and wiring harness on the 06's from 16 bit to 32 bit technology. So if you were do this on your engine I would not do anything without the proper research first. Im just sharing my experience to help others.

Onto a couple pics.

IMG_7251_zps3v7od08a.jpg

Throwing a rooster tail for funsies.

IMG_7250_zpshyqmg48u.jpg

Gps verified.

IMG_7249_zpszvlyex0y.png

3 hours ago, ififish said:

seeing 60 at 6000 rpm with a 250 vmax on 22te spinning a high five 19p but rpm range is way off in midrange. Best so far has been an ofx3 21p for running square

Im surprised that your not seeing higher numbers with a 250. 60mph is good, but I think theres a few more mph you can squeeze out of it with a better prop. The ofx3 22p that Im running is a good prop for what I do here in NE FL, where I have to cover a lot of water. I think if I take the prop off to have it cleaned up and have the leading edges sharpened Itll be even better. 

On 5/4/2016 at 0:23 PM, linesider 159 said:

60 with a 250 is about average for a 22, maybe + or - 1-2 mph

While I do agree with you I still think theres more to be had. From my understanding the 250's has a different gear ratio than the 225 and the 200 of the same year, correct me if I am wrong. From me jumping from 52mph to 58mph essentially going from a 200 to a 225 I would think there would be similar results going from a 225 to a 250. If hes seeing 60 @6k I think with a little more prop tuning he could be seeing higher numbers given the fact hes right at the limiter at WOT. If he can turn 6k WOT then he could probably swing a larger prop and get away with a decent hole shot by tuning the exhaust ports. 

And on another note, whats up with these messed up post counts after switching the website over?

12 hours ago, mulligan said:

I think they all have 1.75 gears.  Could a 250 squeeze more, maybe?  Adding horsepower does not always mean great speed gains.  Some hulls only go so fast no matter how much HP you throw at it.

Adding HP in my case seemed to be exactly what it needed. I was looking at the 05 model vmax's and looking at their manuals, the 250 is showing as having a different gear ratio than the 225-200's but I could be reading it wrong. There are some local guys running the new SHO 250's on their 2200's and seeing 60+ all day. With the 2 stroke being about the same weight as the new 250 SHO give or take. I dont see why you wouldn't be seeing comparable numbers assuming the new SHO's are not making abundantly more power than what they're being advertised at.  

Not saying it is the case, but sometimes what people say they run isn't always the truth. Several times I've had someone say their boat runs 65 and I'll pass them at 63-64. 

Fastest 22 with 250 sho I heard of was 62.5 or something like that, but who knows once you throw a load in it. I run 69 empty in cold temps, but most summer days I'm 63-65, sometimes 66

There is a law of deminishing return when it comes to horsepower The higher you go the greater the hp needed to get the same increase in speed. 

As much as we love our 22TE and 2200V they are not a naturally fast hull. The pad at the transom will not let the boat get up and out of the water to run like a bass boat hull.

13 hours ago, linesider 159 said:

Not saying it is the case, but sometimes what people say they run isn't always the truth. Several times I've had someone say their boat runs 65 and I'll pass them at 63-64. 

Fastest 22 with 250 sho I heard of was 62.5 or something like that, but who knows once you throw a load in it. I run 69 empty in cold temps, but most summer days I'm 63-65, sometimes 66

Those numbers are with your Sterling that you had/have? I heard they're fast and those are some pretty impressive numbers. I like having the ability to run the speeds in the upper range even though I dont run WOT everywhere I go. Kinda makes it hard to bite the bullet and get a t-top installed and sacrifice the top end, lol. 

Sorry, should have been clear. Yes 69 was with the sterling. 

In summertime the high speeds can really come in handy with the late afternoon/evening storms that get dangerous.

Get a bimini! That's what I would do. I had one on a 16 hewes and never realized how nice it is to run the boat in the shade

Archived