Educate me on GPS/fish-finders...

Colorado Matt

Hey all,

I'm looking at a used Maverick skiff this weekend that I'm considering buying.

The boat was originally rigged with a Garmin 3010, but the display no longer works. The working transducer and antennae are included with the sale of the boat. The owner says he's been using a Garmin 4208 on this boat, but he's keeping that display.

I know very little about these units, and I'm trying to determine what displays will be compatible with the transducer and antennae that are already installed on the boat. Any advice or information you can provide will be most appreciated.

Matt

Hey all,

I'm looking at a used Maverick skiff this weekend that I'm considering buying.

The boat was originally rigged with a Garmin 3010, but the display no longer works. The working transducer and antennae are included with the sale of the boat. The owner says he's been using a Garmin 4208 on this boat, but he's keeping that display.

I know very little about these units, and I'm trying to determine what displays will be compatible with the transducer and antennae that are already installed on the boat. Any advice or information you can provide will be most appreciated.

Matt

I would not base the purchase of the new unit solely on what transducer is currently on the boat. Many Chart-plotters now have internal gps antennas as well.

Transducer is one of the most important pieces in a good fish-finder.

What are you looking for in your new unit? Any specific type of fishing that requires CHIRP or Side Imaging from the unit?

A very good all around unit is the Garmin 741XS.

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen.

I just want standard navigation and tracking functions with good maps, and decent sonar, mostly for catching bait.

This is a dedicated poling skiff, so it won't be seeing much deep water. It will be used in the Everglades, and around Sanibel on nice days, perhaps in the Keys a few times a year.

I was thinking the installation/wiring of a new unit might be a little pricey, hence my desire for a plug and play solution. I spoke with Max at Marine Electronics. He said, if the owner is using a 4208 with the existing equipment , then it's likely almost any Garmin display will work.

Thanks again,

Matt

There have been lots of good changes in the gps market in the last few years. I'm using a Garmin 70s and like the maps, but just saw some new ones the other day and all I can say is wow. Lots of good stuff out there. 

One thing to think about with a new to you (used) boats. Have the wiring check out. Don't want any issues when you are out on the water. 

Archived