Power Trim and Tilt Issues

Slo Poke1

I tried to add fluid, but didn't really accept it since it just poured out (they should have the filling port vertical instead of horizontal). Of course, I'm not the most mechanically inclined so I might be going about it wrong. I watched a YouTube video (evinrude) and it looked straight forward.

Hard to say what it could be without hearing and seeing it but here are a couple things to look at.

Describe noisy? Does it sound like cavitation from being low on fluid? To check the fluid put your bow as low as you can and trim the engine all the way up. Use an oil squirt can or syringe to add fluid. Trying to do it straight from the bottle makes a huge mess. Add fluid slowly till it starts to run out. Close the cap and cycle the system all the way up and down a few times. Put it all the way back up and crack the cap, air should escape. Close cap and cycle again. Keep repeating till it won't accept anymore fluid and noise goes away.

It also could be your tilt tube whining. When is the last time it was greased? There are two zercs for the tilt tube. The tilt tube is replaceable if need be. Corrosion builds up and it makes a whining and clacking noise.

If fluid level is right and tilt tube is nice and lubed then it most likely is the motor itself. It's not too difficult to replace as long as the bolts come out okay. Broken bolts are common on Yamahas so be careful and take your time. Heat helps as well.

Archived