West Marine Extended Warranty?

flatsfisher772

Trying to decide if I should buy West Marines Protection Plus 2 year extended warranty for the xi5 trolling motor I'm buying? The motor comes with a 2 year manufacture warranty and if I buy using my credit card, they will extend it an additional 1 year. The West Marine Plan would be about $215 additional and would extend it 2 years after the manufactures warranty ends.

It should be that way with WM being they are priced twice as high as everyone else.

Stinking $5 for 5 adhesive lined heat shrink butt connectors....stupid.

Ever buy 3m detailing products there? One bottle is 34 bucks on a regular account. If you have a port supply account it is only 14 bucks. I try to have my buddy with me when i go in there since he has a port supply account!

Trying to decide if I should buy West Marines Protection Plus 2 year extended warranty for the xi5 trolling motor I'm buying? The motor comes with a 2 year manufacture warranty and if I buy using my credit card, they will extend it an additional 1 year. The West Marine Plan would be about $215 additional and would extend it 2 years after the manufactures warranty ends.

Wm = $$$, but, customer service is :thumbup:

DC

Extended warranties are usually a ***ers bet. All stores that offer them (and many push them) make the largest profits on them rather than the products. You should self-insure as often as possible. For example, I just spent $327 having a new mother board and brushes put in a Riptide 80# for a repair, it was over 6 years old. If I had had the extended W, I would be out what I paid for it plus the $327.

The actuaries know how to make money with extended waranties.

WM makes replacement easy. Same as BPS. Warranty work, not as easy. But I'd still buy the extended warranty from either of those two chains.

The only extended warranty I've ever used is for my old Toyota Sequoia and it saved me over $8,000 out of pocket due to the computer going bad! So I always buy an extended warranty on anything that costs over a grand. Especially if it's marine related.

I just purchased the 2 year extended warrantee on my Xi5 thru Mercury for less than $200.00. The warrantee is just an additional extension of the original warrantee and it is transferable. That gives me piece of mind knowing that I now have a full 4 year warrantee. Ya know, those little boards that they have in these high tech products can get real expensive. And there is not any labor charges if covered by warrantee.

Just an FYI, check your credit card additional year warranty. Most of them only add a year to a manufacturer's one year warranty, for a total of 2 years. They won't add it to a 2 year warranty, at least not my credit cards when I have asked.

If it makes sense to you, get the warranty. I picked one up for my truck, an additional 5 years after the manufacturers 3 for $800. It seemed to make sense for me since if anything broke on the truck, it would cost more than $800 and I had 8 years to be worry free.

I like to call the warranty or service plan 'insurance'. Only item I ever got burned on was a plasma TV. It was repaired under warranty in the first year (replaced the whole plasma panel). Two and 1/2 years later the screen cracked. I got 3 1/2 years out of it, but it should have been more like 10.

Do what you feel comfortable with. I put all the money I would have spent on warranty coverages for electronics in a bank account collecting interest and use it for repairs. I still have money in there.

Good luck.

• 4 years later...

I bought an extended warrantee for a water supply pump.  The factory warrantee was for 3 years and the extended warrantee for an additional year.  The warrantee company is completely incompetent.  I've been attempting to get my warrantee covered for over a month.  First they told me that the factory warrantee was for only a year.  I had to prove to them that it was for 3 years.  Then they wanted the original receipt although they had proof of the purchase on their computer.  I had the store send the receipt.  Now, when I call and ask for the claim number needed by the store to issue the refund for the purchase of the second pump, I'm placed on hold then hung up on.  I've been promised that Mario Ordonez (the manager) will call me back but he never does.  In all honesty, I will never shop at West Marine again and I certainly will never trust their extended warrantee.  This is inexcusable and POOR customer service.  They ***!!!!.