Cleaning the no-skid deck?

La Red Man

Curious what others process is for cleaning the no-skid deck on your Pathy?

Right now I've found my best method is a diluted bleach in a garden sprayer followed with a good p***over with a scrubbrush. Would like to get away from using the bleach if possible while also not having to break out the 3000 psi pressure washer.

Do what every you have to do to get it clean one more time, then get yourself some "Woody's Wax". They make it for different stuff, just get the stuff for decks. Follow the directions on the bottle (pretty simple). After that you shouldn't have a problem with stuff sticking or staining, as long as you spray-off the decks after every use.

I've read about guys using an orbital buffer to apply regular wax or polish. You need a fluffy bonnet to get polish in all the small spaces.

Either way, you just need a good layer of polish/wax to keep stuff from sticking. Additionally, make sure you ware shoes on the deck afterward.

My boat was lift kept when I bought it and the deck was slightly faded and marked up very easy. So I used the same process in this video, but I used a DA from Harbor Frieght, much cheaper. I also use 3m lite oxidation cleaner wax.

The deck looks almost new. It is a bit slippery when bare foot for the first time or two out, but with shoes its fine. This process has made keeping the deck clean much easier, and now I do it about every 10 months.

My boat was lift kept when I bought it and the deck was slightly faded and marked up very easy. So I used the same process in this video, but I used a DA from Harbor Frieght, much cheaper. I also use 3m lite oxidation cleaner wax.

The deck looks almost new. It is a bit slippery when bare foot for the first time or two out, but with shoes its fine. This process has made keeping the deck clean much easier, and now I do it about every 10 months.

Forgot to add, sometimes a towel won't remove all the wax from the non skid. I think it happens when I use too much in one spot. If that happens I use a scrub brush.

The local charter guys in Apalachicola use a product called "Goof Off". On their decks. They buy it by the gallon at Ace Hardware for $10. They put it in a one gallon sprayer.

You wet the deck, spray it on, let it set for a couple of minutes and then lightly brush. It works great.

i use a bleach mix and a scrub brush to clean the deck and when it dries, i use a liquid wax in a pump sprayer and spray the deck and hull, then buff with a soft towel. i do this about twice a year and spray wash the deck the rest of the time. i haven't rubbed wax on in years now, the spray wax so easy and inexpensive. my boat is kept in slings in a covered boat house, so it doesn't get the sun damage an outside boat would.

I waxed my non skid deck with the shurhold pro polish and an orbital buffer. Looked great - didn't slip and washing all the gunk that ends up on the deck (blood, guts, etc) wash of very easily.

Shurhold has a youtube page and website with simple instructions on how to wax a non skid deck.

I plan to do this every 4-6 months

http://shurhold.com/article/marine/detailing-cleaning/how-to-wax-and-protect-non-skid-decks/

Archived