1/2 ton towing 24 or 26 pathy

FINCHASER

Anyone out there doing it? Planning an upgrade in the next couple years and all options are on the table boat wise so not sure what ill end up with.

PLan on upgrading the truck soon and prefer to get out of the 3/4 and into a 1/2... want to make sure I get it right in case I do end up with the 24 or 26 so I don't regret anytihng. Looking at the F150 so super interested in input on your experience towing with one and what motor / rear end you are running.

I plan on getting the max tow package with either the 5.0 or 3.5 eco.

My 2400 pushed my 2011 GMC 1500 Sierra during an emergency stop. I was doing 55 and a car pull out in front of me. I had room, the brake was to the floor and I could feel the boat push me through. I went off the road and *** near in the ditch. I'm sure you'll hear a Tacoma will pull it or a 6 cylinder F-150 will but that one incident shook me up pretty good. I upgraded and never looked back.

I have had several F250 and loved them and they pulled my prior 24's like butter, easy as can be and stopping was amazing... but I changed a couple of years ago and went with a 1500 Ram with the 5.7 Hemi, it towed my 24 TRS ok, nothing special, stopping was ok, I felt safe but it was nothing like a 2500, I was not ok with just OK....and was not happy with the 1500 but could get by with it. Personally I needed the security of a 2500 for pulling and stopping power. I went back to a 2500 Ram with the Cummings and I feel like I did with the prior 2500 Fords....If you factor in the dry weight of a 2400 with a hard top, fuel, ICE and all the gear we carry, they are pretty heavy boats and push the limits of any 1500. Just my O2. I know I will never pull a 24 or larger with a 1500. I think anyone pulling the 26 trs with a 1500 would be nuts....

I'm not sure you can get max tow with the 5.0.

Took my current boat, motor, trailer loaded up to the scales and it was about 7,000 lb.

I have a 2013 f-150 4x4 5.0 with 3.55 gears. It tows my boat pretty well and it is quite a bit heavier than a 26. My truck is rated for 7,700 lb. I think 3.73 gears would have jumped that up to 9,000 lb

Nothing wrong with my truck, but if I was doing it again I would probably go ecoboost. If not ecoboost 3.73 gears with the 5.0.

This is a tricky question to answer as everyone has a varying opinion on what they feel safe in. Find the truck you want and look at towing capacity and if you keep it under 80% of towing capacity(including whatever you put into the the truck bed and back seat) you should be fine. I have read a lot about towing and it varies tremendously as to what everyone feels comfortable with, as evidenced above. Most time I feel that when posting, you have an idea in mind of what you are wanting to do and looking for someone else doing it safely.

http://onlinetowingguide.com/tests/images/WebTundra014.JPG

With that said, I pull my 24TRS with soft TTOP with a Tundra 5.7 4X4 with no problem starting, stopping or p***ing. Truck is rated for about 10,000 towing. Previously pulled a 19PF without a top and barely noticed behind the truck. I don't feel that the boat pushes my truck when braking, especially with the trailer brakes. Sure, if I had a bigger truck, it would be easier to tow and I might get better gas mileage, as I have read, but I am happy with my towing rig and wouldn't hesitate to pull a bigger boat.

You have to find your happy place with the combination.

To answer your initial question, I feel a 1/2 ton that has 10K towing or greater would more than satisfy your needs for now and down the road given your trailer has brakes on each axle.

BTW, the F150 was the only truck in a recent crash survey to get the highest 'good' rating(on the news tonight).

Good luck!

It will tow and stop fine. That said, i really wish i had a diesel for my 22 flats boat. Not because i cant stop or it isnt enough, but the effortless power of a diesel would be really nice with the amount of long distance towing i do (downshifting is extremely annoying).

Id say if affording a diesel is no issue, then id prefer that over gas. But towing with a half ton is not a problem in my opinion, and Ford/chevy/dodge all agree

I have had several F250 and loved them and they pulled my prior 24's like butter, easy as can be and stopping was amazing... but I changed a couple of years ago and went with a 1500 Ram with the 5.7 Hemi, it towed my 24 TRS ok, nothing special, stopping was ok, I felt safe but it was nothing like a 2500, I was not ok with just OK....and was not happy with the 1500 but could get by with it. Personally I needed the security of a 2500 for pulling and stopping power. I went back to a 2500 Ram with the Cummings and I feel like I did with the prior 2500 Fords....If you factor in the dry weight of a 2400 with a hard top, fuel, ICE and all the gear we carry, they are pretty heavy boats and push the limits of any 1500. Just my O2. I know I will never pull a 24 or larger with a 1500. I think anyone pulling the 26 trs with a 1500 would be nuts....

According to the performance bulletins the 24 and 26 weigh the same.

Looking at PB weights, factoring in a trailer and some gear either should be in the 5-5500lb range

80/20 rule..

fin, with a bigger boat, are you going to be travelling more? meaning, you fish the Ft Pierce areas...

do you plan on running long distances? If so, a larger truck will probably be a better decision..

I run 200 miles normally each trip to west coast fla and back...granted, i'm pulling a 17t and previously a 22V on my F150.

I have an Ecoboost small V8 and it runs great...did well with the Pathy...

Key for me was limited slip rear axel and tranny cooler...

regarding stopping...yes, you could have a problem...$H!!!t happens....but, I can tell you, when I'm trailering, I rarely run faster than 60-62 unless p***ing and I'm very very viligent...

I'm going fishing....i'm not in a rush and I take my time with the boat behind me...

I trailered a 23 Dusky for several years....that was a beast !!! No fun, always looking in the rear view mirror....loading and unloading a challenge..but, family fun..

DC

I drive a 2000 Ford F-350 Four door dually 7.3l. It is a school bus when compared to a lot of trucks so I'm kind of by***. I too have thought about down sizing to a 1/2 ton, but I just can't seem to pull the trigger. When I compare towing capacity, braking, cargo room, HP, MPG's my old Dually beats every truck I have looked at and that's with 200,000 plus on the ticker. A half ton will pull a 2400 fine, but will it do it for 200,000 plus with nearly no issues? If you plan on getting a truck every few years then you'll have no issues.

Apples and oranges.

The EB is a much better motor than the ol 5.0.

My truck with the tow package is @ 10,800.

Agreed a 2500 is a big step up but Fin is looking at the 5.0 v EB.

The EB get all its torque by 1900 rpm .

Just like a diesel .

High torque at low RPM .

Perfect for highway and ramp .

The lower number on the 5.0 does not happen until 4500 rpm .

Basicly WOT .

When do you ever do that .

Never.

Do not listen to the hype ( this motor is unproven ) thats crap !

Ford almost did not even offer the 5.0 last year .

This is all IMHO !

I pull a 23' bay boat LOADED to the gills for camping and extended trips and the EB is flawless .

Just my $.02

Good luck Fin

PS I put a Diablo tow tune in 1.5 years ago and it added 90 hp & 90 ft/lb.

Minor investment ... Huge imptovement !

🇺🇸💀

For what it's worth, the 23 hps is 24 ft. long, front to rear. And, according to the specs, the 23 and 24 weigh the same. I tow with a 2009 Suburban 1500. Never had a problem towing or breaking, but you got to make sure your trailer brakes are tuned-up, no matter what you tow with.

80/20 rule..

fin, with a bigger boat, are you going to be travelling more? meaning, you fish the Ft Pierce areas...

do you plan on running long distances? If so, a larger truck will probably be a better decision..

I run 200 miles normally each trip to west coast fla and back...granted, i'm pulling a 17t and previously a 22V on my F150.

I have an Ecoboost small V8 and it runs great...did well with the Pathy...

Key for me was limited slip rear axel and tranny cooler...

regarding stopping...yes, you could have a problem...$H!!!t happens....but, I can tell you, when I'm trailering, I rarely run faster than 60-62 unless p***ing and I'm very very viligent...

I'm going fishing....i'm not in a rush and I take my time with the boat behind me...

I trailered a 23 Dusky for several years....that was a beast !!! No fun, always looking in the rear view mirror....loading and unloading a challenge..but, family fun..

DC

It wont be long and ill be going more often but the distance will not be increasing. Im just like you describe as well slow and steady wins the race... I run 5mph over the limit max and never in a race when hauling a boat.

I drive a 2000 Ford F-350 Four door dually 7.3l. It is a school bus when compared to a lot of trucks so I'm kind of by***. I too have thought about down sizing to a 1/2 ton, but I just can't seem to pull the trigger. When I compare towing capacity, braking, cargo room, HP, MPG's my old Dually beats every truck I have looked at and that's with 200,000 plus on the ticker. A half ton will pull a 2400 fine, but will it do it for 200,000 plus with nearly no issues? If you plan on getting a truck every few years then you'll have no issues.

Its tough for me to get rid of mine with the 7.3 but its time... has 414k on it runs and drives well and looks great for its age... for me to keep itt id want to totally redo it back to new including engine and trans... the drawback would be all the time itd be in the shop to get all that done. Im a little tired of running that size truck with the parking limitations, rough ride and lack of amenities found on newer ones.

I owned a 2013 f150 with the 3.5 eco BEAST, and I never had a problem pulling anything that you would expect a 1/2 ton to pull. I loved it, but I always wanted a diesel. I traded it in Sept of 2014 for a 2007 6.0. I won't say I will NEVER own a gas motor again, only because the Ecoboost is a bad mf'er, BUT...it'll never out pull my diesel...never. Also, I pull more than just my boat.

With todays trucks, pulling isn't the issue with boats like ours, stopping is. Even with brakes, the missing m*** of a 1/2 ton vs a 3/4 or higher is noticeable (more so with the new aluminum ones) when you have to lay on the brakes because some jackwad cuts you off in traffic. The bigger the boat the more noticeable it becomes. Fuel mileage is also better pulling a big boat with a big truck vs small truck.

However, if you're set on a 1/2 ton... the 3.5 Ecobeast is the only way to go. IMO.

I have a F150 EB, 373 rear, 4 X 4, and it pulls my 23HPS with no problem. Gets between 10-12 mph depending on the speed. I've pulled it 3 times from Charleston SC the Keys and to Crystal River.

With that being said:

Mu buddy has a Duramax and I can say that when I pull it with his, it doesn't shift gears on I-95 going up an over p*** like mine does and it gets much better mileage.

Archived