2300 hps props?

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 4/11/2016 at 3:36 PM, jdsfishman said:

Hey everyone I just bought a 2300 hps with a 250 sho and im running a powertech 4 blade 21p. getting good hole shot and getting 62mph at wot at 5800 rpm. Just wondering what others are running and the numbers your getting. thanks!

I have the same boat (2014) and motor and ordered a 15X23 blade with part # 6BR-45B74-00-00 which was on Yamaha's 1/4/11 Performance Bulletin for the same engine and boat.....which max at 6050 rpm and 63 mph.  I have not been able to get over 5100 rpms or 50 miles per hour on mine....boat empty and single person.  I'm concerned about using another manufacturer while under warranty...6 years.  I had the same problem with my 2005 pathfinder with a 150 F  until I went to powertech.

Wow!  That is pretty bad!  Same prop... 6050 rpm's and 5100 rpm's!  I wouldn't hesitate to go with a different prop.  As long as you get your rpm's up, I don't think the prop would affect your warranty. If anything, that Yamaha prop is killing your engine!

Charles,

You need to have a competent person take a look at your boat.. Something needs to be changed.

I looked up the part and you have a 4 blade 23 pitch prop.. Same as Performance Bulletin..   Scratchin my head..

Maybe a local Member can loan you a 3 blade 23 to try..

Your boat should F L Y ..

Where are you located, Charles ? 

Mod -1

On 3/22/2017 at 9:26 PM, Moderator said:

Charles,

You need to have a competent person take a look at your boat.. Something needs to be changed.

I looked up the part and you have a 4 blade 23 pitch prop.. Same as Performance Bulletin..   Scratchin my head..

Maybe a local Member can loan you a 3 blade 23 to try..

Your boat should F L Y ..

Where are you located, Charles ? 

Mod -1

Big Pine Key

Did you buy the HPS at Caribee ?  If so, They may be able to help.

There could be a number of reasons.. I have heard of this when the motor is hung too low on the jack plate. A good Yamaha shop may be able to diagnose.

Anybody in the Keys have a 3 blade SWS 23 he can borrow ??

M-1

Make sure tabs are all the way up jack plate on 3 and trim 2/3 to 3/4. If this does not get you close to 60 or over in a light boat you have fuel or mechanical issues.

If you are jacked up and trimmed out still getting only 5100 run a compression test, put in new plugs, check coils for spark, and have the fuel pressure checked under load

Like ChrisB said, the engine could be starved for fuel.  If the fuel tank was overfilled at the pump, it's possible that the carbon canister on the overboard vent line became flooded with gas and saturated the charcoal pellets - causing air flow restriction.  It happened on my boat and had to be fixed.  Engine performance was restored when the fuel system could breathe better again.

• 4 weeks later...

Charles, have a competent prop shop make sure the pitch is what is stamped on the prop and balaced correctly. My Rev 4 was stamped as a 23P and was actually a 24P. Rich Junker pitched it back and did a back cut and saw 500 more RPM'S. Prior 5400, now 5900. With the 4 blade, you should be abe to jack up to 4 and trim and those RPM'S gotta come up. 2 things, prop issue or as mentioned, diagnose the engine.

Good luck...

Archived