Repowering Option, Feedback welcome

MarkB2

A few months back I popped a piston rod through the block of my 2007 200HP Yami HPDI 2 stroke on my 2007 2200 XL TE. I had the engine rebuilt by Franzen Marine here in Tampa. I paid $4k for the rebuild. I was already thinking of repowering before the engine blew but knew the resale value on a newly rebuilt engine would be more than that of a blown engine. I would like to repower this summer with a new engine. The boat is in excellent shape and rigged the way I like it and I'm not ready to replace it. I'm looking at getting a 250HP Yami Vmax SHO. I would get the 200 or 225 Vmax SHO but they only come with 20in shafts. I can also use the controls that are already on the boat. My other options are below:

200HP inline four Yami--- Quite a bit cheaper but I would lose performance that I already have with the 200HP HPDI 2 stroke.

200HP 3.3L V6 Yami--- It cost about the same as the 250HP Vmax SHO, but weighs 100lbs more than the Vmax and 130lbs more than my current engine.

I want to repower because I would rather a 4 stroke and no longer trust my current engine for long runs. We make quite long runs during our trips in the Keys.

Any feedback is welcome.

Think the XL has a 25" transom.

I had a 22XLTE for a while with a 200 four stroke. Frankly I was disappointed with the power and would have preferred a 250.

Now that I have a 2200 TE I realize how much heavier the XL "feels." I'd say look for another HPDI or go 250 four stroke.

I would go with the 250 SHO or 4.2L F225 of F250. The SHO may burn a little mare gas than the 200 HPDI. I went from a 200 VMax HPDI on a 2006 to a 200 VMax SHO on a 2015. I dont have numbers, but it sure felt like the SHO was burning more gas.

I think you can put a 20" shaft engine on your boat. It would require 10" setback jackplate though.

Buy a v6 200 sho then send it to Simons racing and get a 300+hp tune in it. Cheapest route.

Id generally agree, just talk to Simon before you do. The thing dyno's around 350 hp, but you need to spin 7k rpm to get that. Otherwise if you dont touch the rev limiter you still gain 3-4 mph over a stock 250. They hit a flat spot around 6100-6500, then it gains a lot of power above that.

If i didnt plan on selling my boat so quickly i most likely would have done it. My next boat will be faster, some way somehow...

My guess is since you previously had a 200, you arent interested in something pumping out 300 plus, but you never know

didn't realize the dealer couldn't tell the ecu was modified. My 550 number came from the thought that it was 650 to get your existing ECU reflashed and 1200 to get a new ECU $1200 (***umed pre-flashed) (1200-650)....I guess I just interpreted wrong. still think its a cool way to fly under the radar

So when your dealer checks your hours per rpm range how do you explain the time spent running 6500-7000? Stock rev limiter is set at 6050, right?

Don't get me wrong -- its a pretty neat idea -- but I wouldn't be so sure you're bulletproof when it comes to your warranty.

If you change the Rev limiter, which is not necessary unless you want 350 plus, it won't show the rpm difference. If you decide to do the maximum tune and change the Rev limiter it will show some over revs from what I am told. Even then,I've "heard" it wasn't an issue

Buy a 250 SHO and be done with it. They come with a 25" leg so the XL hull will hold it. Buy what you want the first time and be happy with it. If you start looking at other options like a 3.3 liter or a suped up 200, you'll be disappointed in the F200 performance and worried about a warranty with a suped up 200.

I've played this game before and if I'd gotten what I wanted the first time....it would've saved me the headache of not being happy with it.

i repowerd with a in line 200. hole shot isn't like a 2 stroke, but after 3000 rpm it's just like the 200 hpdi i had. i wanted the 225 SHO, but my budget said F200. i'm happy with it, but i'm in an 02 2200v which is very light compared to later models. i think the hole shot would be even worse in a heavier hull.

Archived