2015 2400 4 Blade?

• 3 weeks later...

can't find my original post where I tested two props on my 2014 24 w/factory T-top ; Marcus at PT keeps a log for the fleet with MPH/RPM values. My top end was over 54 MPH but forget RPM level-it was near 5,900. It was 1:1 up to 45 MPH/4500 then speed dropped off slighty/RPM increase. Runs like a scalded dog and hole shot is awesome.

I have a 2016 2400trs with the 300 and a hard top and ive tried several props now but im still struggling to get the numbers I would like to see. OFX3 21 pitch gets me to 5600 rpm and 53 mph and I ran the HS4 21 pitch today but I couldnt break 5200rpms and 52 mph. Im bummed by those numbers because i really though the HS4 21 pitch would get my rpms higher than that.

Now I'm hunting for an OFX4 or Rev4 in 19 pitch

• 2 months later...

Hey NateF,

I've got a boat just like yours and I'm not happy with the PT OFX4 19 pitch. It doesn't give WOT numbers near what I expected. Actually, very similar to yours with the HS4 21 pitch. I'm curious if the 15" diameter of the HS4 21 makes it perform more like an OFX4 19?? I wonder if a 14-1/2" prop would allow the engine to rev higher?

I think I might give Marcus at PT another shot at prop selection; hoping he'll cut me some sort of demo price deal. 

• 10 months later...

My top speed is about 53 mph. As noted, I have a 19" pitch prop. I also have a fiberglass t-top which surely takes a few mph off my boat. For me 53 mph is plenty fast. What concerns me more is that I can't turn more that about 5,500 rpm. I never got any explanation except to stay with the 19" pitch or my planing time will suffer.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Not me! I wish someone would hit on the right prop so we can all go out and buy it. I really hate to experiment with $500 props.

I’ve narrowed my research to Yamaha Saltwater Series II and PowerTech OFX4. Both have a diameter of 15.25” so that is not a differentiator. The million dollar question is what pitch??

If anyone from PowerTech reads this, send me a 17 and 18 inch prop and I’ll do some free testing to answer this burning question that so many Pathfinder 2400 owners ask.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to Chris Bailey at Gulf Coast Complete Marine, I was able to test an OFX4 17" pitch prop (not ported). I ran my 2400 TRS (300 Yamaha + hard top) at full throttle and it hit 6100 RPM and 52 MPH quickly. I had the motor trimmed up to 4 bars, jack plate at 3" and the trim tabs fully retracted. So my dilemma is whether I hit the rev limiter on the motor or 6100 is the true maximum RPM for this prop on my boat. You can see the test results in the attached file.

The hole shot was very good with the non-ported 17 pitch prop. FYI, Mike Hood Props doesn't recommend ported props unless the motor just can't spin the prop fast enough while planing. If you order a prop without ports and have an issue you add ports.

Personally, I don't like 52 MPH at 6100 RPM. So I think my conclusion is to select an OFX4 18" pitch without porting and hope to run 5700-5800 RPM WOT and about 54 MPH and still get decent hole shot.

Test conditions: 1 person, 35 gallons of fuel, full live well, light wind, 75 degrees (basically perfect conditions) 

Pathfinder Performance Graph.pdf

• 1 month later...

I have a 2017 2400 with Bimini top.  These numbers are wit the top removed.

I run a PT ofx4 19, hole shot good, midrange excellent, 4000rpm 37-38mph, top end 5500-5800 depending on load 55-58mph. No porpoising 

Boat came with SSII 19T 15.25”, slow-average hole shot, ok midrange, 4000rpm 36mph, some blow out on turns, top end 5900 57mph light.  I do get porpoising with this prop.

Also tried an HS4 21T 15”, good hole shot, 4000rpm 41mph, no blow out, top end 5300rpm 58mph light.  No porpoising 

Honestly I’m trying to find a better prop so any input would be appreciated.

I’m sure you read my previous posts related to prop testing. I have come to the conclusion that a loaded 2400TRS needs a PowerTech 18 pitch OFX4 “non-vented” prop. One of our most respected prop shops in Houston feels very strongly that venting a prop on really large engines (250-300 HP) robs hole shot time and does not offer any benefits. There is no need to “spool up” a large engine for hole shot. I actually closed up the vent holes on my 19 pitch OFX4 and it has a good hole shot.

My current plan is to buy a PowerTech 17 pitch non-vented OFX4 to run during fishing season when I might have up to 5 people and a full live well on my boat. I am going to take my current 19 pitch to the prop shop and have it reworked to an 18 pitch and have the vent holes welded closed permanently. That way I will have a spare prop that works well under light conditions and 17 pitch prop for loaded conditions.

Archived