fuel vent on Bayfisher

Geaux Time

It looks like my fuel vent tube comes out on the starboard side of the hull right under the rub rail. The fuel intake cap is on the port side. I've never really thought about it too much, but what do everyone else's fuel vents look like on the hull. I noticed a little water on mine when I rubbed my hand on it. I've really had a problem the past few years with water in the fuel tank. I recently changed the O-ring on the fuel cap and the area around the sender looks dry and fine. Could water possibly be getting into that little overflow/vent hole? Surely MBC would have it set up to drain to gravity or have some type of anti-reflux valve in there to prevent water entry? Could anyone please send a pic of their vent? I feel like there should at least be a cap on the tube coming out the side of the hull.

I had to modify my vent line on my old boat because water was entering the vent when a wave came up high on the hull or when washing the boat. Originally, the vent tube ran down hill from the side of the hull to the tank. So, any water that entered the vent would go directly to the tank. I bought a longer vent hose and put a reverse bend in the hose. Now the hose runs from the vent, then turns up and runs to the bottom of the gunnel, then down to the tank. That worked for my. If you have access to the area, this would be an easy solution.

I've had the tank drained on two separate occasions due to LOTS of water in the tank. Second time I changed the O-ring. We'll see if it worked. Now putting ethanol free fuel in but mechanic doesn't think that is the culprit. I don't know if I can access the fuel line/vent tube. My only access point would be from the very front hatch (anchor locker)

Archived