Power Tech to Rescue Again:50hp Yamaha 17T Prop Recommendation

Wanaflatsfish

Just had the carbs rebuilt as I was getting some bogging down at 4K rpms...

running a PT 13 SCD 4 blade and was wondering what others are running?

I spoke with Frank and Jimmies here in FLL and they are recommending a 12 P 4 blade Mercury prop which I'm considering...

The PT is stainless and heavy and I think the 13 p is over prop'd...hole shot slow....top end 4500 rpms @ 28 mph...

looking more for hole shot spin vs top end...and dnot want to spend $$$ for another PT stainless....sorry Marcus :)

dc

Excited to try the SCB4 11p this weekend. I'll report back.

Interestingly, with the SCB4 12p, my slip numbers were coming back negative. So maybe a PowerTech 12p is an everybody else's 13p? What say you, Marcus?

With the added weight you've got between the 24V troller, Yeti, twin Power-Poles, charger, etc., plus two grown men, 4500 rpm seems about in line with what I've been seeing. Definitely seems like you're overpropped.

Also I'd strongly recommend raising your motor to the second-from-highest position. I had zero ill effects from it, and you should gain hole shot, top end, plus an inch and a half of running draft to boot.

With the added weight you've got between the 24V troller, Yeti, twin Power-Poles, charger, etc., plus two grown men, 4500 rpm seems about in line with what I've been seeing. Definitely seems like you're overpropped.

I ran the bote the other day naked....no Yetti and only TM.

I still could not get more than 4500 rpms...

once I trimmed up a bit over level...I was bounching like a bucking bronko....

thanks for your comments...

yes, please report back...

FJ Prop's ordered me an aluminum 4 blade Merc prop they said they've had good success with for 50hp's 2 stroke on similar botes....e.g whaler type....

It's a 12 P...so, let's see and it's not expensive..

dc

Frank and Jimmies recommended the Mercury Nemisis 4 blade 12P aluminum....

The prop was not seating properly (had about 1/4 of play) and did not run the boat well.

Heading back tomorrow to speak with them about the prop...I'm sure we'll make things better..

I need to speak with Marcus and see what can be done with the PT Prpo that I currently have...

The Nemisis got to 5200 rpms; but, I lost top speed and while the hole shot was slightly better...mid range was terrible and when creeks, I would loose control....as it would loose grip.

I will keep the updates coming for anyone interested....

dc

You should check out the mercury spitfire x7 prop. I khow it's been discussed here before but it really is a good one, not sure how small pitch it goes down to.

Best prop I've had. Mine is on a new mercury 115 4stroke sitting on a seaark 1872 tunnel. Improved holehsot and topend going from an aluminum 4 blade spitfire 17p. The new spitfire is a 19p and I hit 6000 rpm best speed at 5800 rpm, 40mph; improvement of 4 mph.

I could've used a 20p prop but they don't make it in 20. Was afraid the 21 would be too much, but with opening the vents I propably could've done it. Overall I'm happy with the 19p. Like I said holeshot is amazing and it lives up to all the positive comments I read when researching. For a 4 blade prop I'm really impressed, expected holeshot to be good but didn't expect top end improvements.

I finally got out yesterday morning to run the PT SCB4 11p, and it did very well.

With me @ 225 lbs., my dad @ 180, 12 gal. fuel, two batteries, bait, about a 20 lb. cooler, and fishing gear, it hit just over 32 mph at about 5300 rpm.

Yes, if you do the math, the slip percentage is negative. I don't know why, but I'm not complaining.

Hole shot is fast and flat, and with the load above, I can hold plane easily at 17 mph, 15.5 with a little fiddling.

It was snotty yesterday, with a strong north wind and a real 1' chop with lots of whitecaps, but the prop did not break loose at all, even downwind and in turns.

Engine is mounted in the second-from-highest position.

So basically, I've got the same top-end speed I started with running a 3-blade 14p Yamaha prop and the engine hung at the lowest setting. But now I've got better holeshot, a few hundred more rpm at WOT, about 1.5" less running draft from raising the engine, better low-speed planing, and more predictable turning (although it's still more like "drifting" a car than turning in the normal sense). That's $360 well spent in my book.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up the 11P SCB 4 Power Tech today....

Boat ran completely different....

I'm not seeing the 32mph, but, did see 29 @ 4900 rpms...I do have the Bob's stablizer plate and I think I'm going to remove it ....let's see how she runs with a full fishing load..

She jumps right up and spins up to 24 mph instantly...

I'm seeing 4900 rpms @ 29 mph, but, I'm carrying a full 18 gal of fuel, fat boy in the back, trolling motor and 2 Deka's in the front compartment...

Thank you Marcus and Earlytimes for the info...

DC

Obviously just going off your numbers here, but something doesn't seem quite right if your only spinning 4900rpm.

Pretty sure the max RPM for that motor is 5500, And you should be close or at that range with "normal" load. "EarlyTimes" is carrying an extra guy and gear and 400rpm higher....that's about 2" pitch, so theoretically you'd have to drop to a 9 to get his rpm numbers, but would lose even more top end...

Maybe motor height or how motor is ruining, maybe even tach is off but something isn't right.

Dino, did you raise your motor? Or are you in the lowest position?

Also, although I did have an extra guy, he's only around 170 lbs. And I was running with 12 gallons of fuel in portable tanks instead of 18 in aluminum (probably around 40 lbs. less), no troller (probably 85 lbs. or so for the big Ulterra), one battery forward instead of two (another 60+ lbs.), and no Power Poles instead of 2 (figure 60+ lbs. total with pumps and fluid).

Still, I say raise that engine!

Dino, did you raise your motor? Or are you in the lowest position?

Also, although I did have an extra guy, he's only around 170 lbs. And I was running with 12 gallons of fuel in portable tanks instead of 18 in aluminum (probably around 40 lbs. less), no troller (probably 85 lbs. or so for the big Ulterra), one battery forward instead of two (another 60+ lbs.), and no Power Poles instead of 2 (figure 60+ lbs. total with pumps and fluid).

Still, I say raise that engine!

not yet...

DC

Archived