sandbars

would anyone mind sharing some sandbar spots/numbers around tampa bay good for taking the wife and friends to for the day?

i've heard there is one on the backside of weedon. anywhere else? thanks in advance

depending on the target area/species, either:

courtney campbell

gandy

ballast point

davis island

don't spend much time in the intracoastal or gulf side. maybe i should but im not the biggest fan of a long trailer haul with traffic before and after a full day on the water.

I don't like the water quality in the bay for doing the sandbar thing.

Plenty of good fishing and Ft desoto shell island egmont and the northern barrier islands from Caladesi north are hard to beat.

You just have to put up with the traffic on the road that isn't that bad if you time your travels right.

I would explore Tampa bay, Ft Desoto and the Anclote area as mentioned.

TB- On either side of the causeway ramp is some sandy areas to park your boat.

Between Causeway and HF bridge is Cypress beach area.

On either side of the Gandy ramp you have beachy areas, one near the National guard station and on the other side of the ramp near Hula bay is a small island.

Weedon island-you can go up in the channel and there is a sandbar that is exposed at low tide and knee deep on high tide. This is where we have some of the meet and greets.

Near davis island you have Beer can island, fantasy island or you can go up the Alafia river to the Diddy or springs and swim. They have rules at the diddy though, at least one tooth missing and a tattoo showing. :)

South to Joe island has a beach area closest to the skyway.

Check out the areas in Ft Desoto. They have beach areas and an island, Egmont) that is amazing.

Lastly, Anclote for has lots of island and areas to ride. Between Honeymoon island north up to The sandbar north on Anclote has many areas.

This is probably way to much information and I am sure I did not hit all the areas. Get out and ride around and you will discover places.

I don't although I don't mind making that run from the Gandy ramp. My wife's Grandfather was in the Navy and served in WWII. Is that a close enough connection to get access to the Legion post down there?

"Near davis island you have Beer can island, fantasy island or you can go up the Alafia river to the Diddy or springs and swim. They have rules at the diddy though, at least one tooth missing and a tattoo showing"

That's not totally true Dale, this missing tooth requirement is for the women only. :)

"Near davis island you have Beer can island, fantasy island or you can go up the Alafia river to the Diddy or springs and swim. They have rules at the diddy though, at least one tooth missing and a tattoo showing"

That's not totally true Dale, this missing tooth requirement is for the women only. :)

Sounds like my kind of women!

Archived