New to the forum

AHL1901

Just picked up a 1995 Hewes 19 Redfisher tunnel after looking for one for over a year. She needs work but looks like a solid project. I suspect she maybe a 1998 and the title is just incorrect because the trailer and motor are both 1998 and are original.

First plan is to get an Owens and sons trailer built for it. Long trip from my home in Texas to Tampa but seems worth it.

Will post some pictures.

• 3 weeks later...

got the Hewes running great. it has a Mercury 150 opti. paid $800 to have the motor over hauled and a new oil reservoir installed.

How hard is it to pull the cap with normal at home tools? I am planning on running her all summer as is and tackling the rebuild in the off season.

Id like to sell the motor, strip the boat, pull the cap, make stringer/hull repairs as needed, new fuel tank, new fuel lines, new electrical, and then put her back together and hopefully hang a 2016 Yamaha F115.

got the Hewes running great. it has a Mercury 150 opti. paid $800 to have the motor over hauled and a new oil reservoir installed.

How hard is it to pull the cap with normal at home tools? I am planning on running her all summer as is and tackling the rebuild in the off season.

Id like to sell the motor, strip the boat, pull the cap, make stringer/hull repairs as needed, new fuel tank, new fuel lines, new electrical, and then put her back together and hopefully hang a 2016 Yamaha F115.

Welcome to the forum. I can definitely say "been there done that" and with mostly at home tools. There are some specific tools needed for the fibergl*** work. To test how easily your cap may or may not come off is to remove the rubrail and the screws holding the cap to the hull. Next, using an 1 1/2 wide putty knife try to insert the knife in the joint between the two. Using a hammer try tapping the knife around the joint to see if it will loosen. If it does loosen try putting some upwards pressure on the cap a little bit at a time to see if it will start to come off. Check out my post on this same subject.

http://www.mbcforum.com/showtopic.php?tid/47486/tp/1/

RL

• 2 weeks later...

Archived