MA 17 vs 18.5

fishtaco

ive also owned both and just had to delete a very long winded story about them since in the end it was merely the same thing skip said lol.

Only thing I will add is that the 17 w 150 is very hard to find. most 17s w be w 115 2 stroke v4 yams or 115 4 stroke. top speed is mid to low 40s.

on the other had 150+ hp 18.5 will hit easy 50- mid/high 50s (w 175)

Garage is a non-issue.

The 17 MA I have an eye on has a Yammie 130, although it is priced a little high in my opinion. $14k with no extras. I understand fully that I do have to make some concessions since they no longer make this boat, or the 2 stroke Yammie which I'd rather have over a 4'stroke.

Fish Taco, either way you land, good luck. I think you'll be happy. One note of caution though. If you buy the 17, it sounds like you might always wonder. If you buy the 18.5, you will never look back. Based on what those who own both have said, there probably isn't any real difference, but sometimes things get stuck in our heads and it impacts the experience. I love my 18.5, but I've never owned a 17. I fish with my kids a lot and I think I'd miss that extra foot and a half (and have a few unintended piercings to boot).

I had the 17 MA for about 4 years and just recently moved to the 21MA. The 17 is a great all around boat. The reason we moved up in size as it seemed like we would have more people with us when using the boat. The 17 hold 2-3 good and with the 130 that is a little rocket. I bought the MA because I fished a lot on an 18.5MA. I really liked that combo with the 150 as it had the room and the power to run! The way I look at it if it is just 2 people on the 17 you will be happy but if you plan on more than the 2 move up to the 18. JD

I had the 17 MA for about 4 years and just recently moved to the 21MA. The 17 is a great all around boat. The reason we moved up in size as it seemed like we would have more people with us when using the boat. The 17 hold 2-3 good and with the 130 that is a little rocket. I bought the MA because I fished a lot on an 18.5MA. I really liked that combo with the 150 as it had the room and the power to run! The way I look at it if it is just 2 people on the 17 you will be happy but if you plan on more than the 2 move up to the 18. JD

That's my problem. I've got 13 & 11 year old boys who always want to go fish. Mom likes to go to watch her boys so I don't see how I can make the 17 work, as much as I want to.

Except for tarpon most of my fishing is done with my buddy and our twelve year old sons. It's very crowded in my 17 with 4. I don't think it would be much different in a 18.5. I love my 17 so I doubt I change but if I do it will be a pathfinder.

Okay, so I have to ask the obvious question . . . can ANY boat fish 4 comfortably on the flats??? Its one thing if you are dropping rigs straight down over a reef, but unless you are in a situation where you are drifting a wide flat, the limiting factor isn't the boat size, it's the target of the casts.

I fish 3 on my 18.5 and, in the right conditions (fish all around the boat) it's very doable. More than 3 and I think I need another boat!

Just my .02. I've thought a lot about going up to a 21' but wonder if the extra length will really make more-than-3 any more do able.

Good point Whichwaysup. I have a 21' with no rear platform so it is basically a floating deck. Fishing 4 in the open like you said is fine but get to a creek or dock and that big bow gets small real fast. Add a young'n to the mix and now that space is half the size!

I've had the 2200, loved the boat but I just don't want that much boat right now.

To answer the question there is no flats boat that will fish 4 comfortably. Most times it will be me and one or both kids. When wife goes she just watches and I certainly want to not include her when she wants to come along. However that is still one more body in the way of casting, which right now on my Duracraft is not a problem. I do however often contemplate the softer ride in whitecaps the MA or Redfisher would offer over the ride I have now.

I bet that 17 with the 130 is a blast to run!

fish Taco, you need that 21 MA that just popped up in the cl***ifieds. With all that gunnel space, you get more fishable space than a 22' pathy, maybe even a 24 footer!

I believe you, but I aint spending $40k on a boat...not that there's anything wrong with that.

I have owned both. the 17 with a 130 2-stroke and the 18.5 with the F-150. The 17 was BY FAR my favorite. Both will carry 4, neither will fish 4 comfortably... but it is doable. If you expect 4 most of the time, you need the 21 or even better a bay boat.

Now that is a RINGING endorsement of the 17 over the 18.5. What makes you like it so much more? Or are you referring to just the motor setup?

Archived