on board charger

Hampton

I like my minn kota digital charger. Owned 3 of them and haven't given me trouble

I had a MK for 5 + yrs on my pathy....great charger...i had a 4 bank...

I am now using a ProMar Gen 3, I have not noticed the heat issue....I'm using the ProMar as I got it from a forum member at a very good price...so far, works perfectly after 2 months and about 5 charge cycles....

I've had a Dual Pro...again, good charger....I had one for two years on my RF18...no problems, but, it is very heavy....

hard to say which is NOT good...other than some of the off brands....from BP (XPS), etc....

My feeling...buy it from WestMarine, buy the 4 year warranty, any issues, take it back...you pay a bit more...but, you know you have a charger for 4 years and when you find it not working on Friday night, you can run to WM and get a replacement and be fishing in the AM.

DC

• 1 month later...

Just to put it straight, all these chargers will put out some real heat,so they need to have ventilation. I didn't realize the issue till I had one go bad from too much heat in the consol where the unit was installed. I now take out the boards to the consol and let the air circulate. Try putting your hand on a trickle charger that puts out 2 volts,very warm,so 6-10 Volts will multiply that.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 8:10 AM, Ksayles44 said:

I have been using a Guest Charger and I have no complaints. Seems to be built very solid.

x2, been using them for years. I always keep my console door cracked open a bit to release the heat. area where charger is needs to be vented while in use. lost one years ago due to not venting, only three months old.

• 1 month later...

Archived