LT20- trolling motor mount

Major

LT20, 1998. Great boat! We use it salt and fresh, often just one person.

So, we tried mounting 80# GPS MinnKota quick release. It keeps pulling out and sounds like it's cracking the gl***.

Don't see a way to get under deck to reinforce.

Tried bonding mount with 5200. Popped right off.

I know, supposed to pole it....& have nice carbon pole. But when alone the pole isn't a good option..

Suggestions greatly appreciated!

LT20, 1998. Great boat! We use it salt and fresh, often just one person.

So, we tried mounting 80# GPS MinnKota quick release. It keeps pulling out and sounds like it's cracking the gl***.

[color:blue]Because it probably was.

The LT deck is foam cored with minimal gl*** to keep the weight down.

"ALWAYS" use a backer plate on TM's, PP's, Ladders, Bow Eyes, etc.

[/color]

Don't see a way to get under deck to reinforce.

Tried bonding mount with 5200. Popped right off.

[color:blue]I believe I installed a 8" access plate & will check tomorrow to confirm.

Buy a access deck cover plate, cut a hole out in the front anchor compartment wall.

Wedge your backer plate into position, drill 1 hole.

Bolt down, finish drilling & checking the rest of the bolts holes for alignment.

Thoroughly wipe down all surfaces,

(backer plate & bottom side of deck) with acetone.

Wipe everything down with a dry clean rag.

Mask off under locations of backer plate.

Apply LOTS of 5200, install bolts & torque down.

Don't Gorilla the bolts & nuts!!!

Snug firmly.[/color]

I know, supposed to pole it....& have nice carbon pole. But when alone the pole isn't a good option..

Suggestions greatly appreciated!

BowEyeletGlassedBackingPlate_zps6d17153d.jpg

BoatPort2_zps30fe2ccc.jpg

I use a stern mounted troller,attached to the polling platform with a custom bracket. Not as good a performer as on the bow buy I use it for a quiet approach around the rocks in NE for stripers. Not good for precise shoreline work like mangroves in FL.

Bow mounts take a beating in rough weather in open water.

I wouldn't 5200 that trolling motor mount. If you ever need to remove it it will be a pain to get off. 4200 would be fine. I mounted mine on the port side using a wrench taped to a wooden stick. It wasn't fun but I managed to through bolt all 4. I didn't want to cut a hatch in deck, but that's a personal preference.

I wouldn't 5200 that trolling motor mount. If you ever need to remove it it will be a pain to get off. 4200 would be fine. I mounted mine on the port side using a wrench taped to a wooden stick. It wasn't fun but I managed to through bolt all 4. I didn't want to cut a hatch in deck, but that's a personal preference.

NO, NO, NO!!!

Do Not apply adhesive of any kind to the actual MK Quick Release bracket.

ONLY, apply 5200 to the backer plate which will be mounted under the deck!

Quick release bracket on top of deck ONLY needs a Sealant,

Not an Adhesive.

Here's a clean pic of what I was referring to in my previous post.

Once you cut out the access hole, slide the backer plate up under the bottom lip of the anchor liner, grab it w/ other hand and wedge into place.

If memory serves me correctly, I guestimated where one of the outer holes would fall and pre-drilled 1 hole in the backer plate.

Tapped down my hole template, drilled deck, installed 1 bolt, drilled other 3 holes into backer plate, remove, clean, apply 5200, apply sealant to MK QR bracket, install bolts & snug down firmly.

MK%20QR%20Bracket%20Install_zpsqaw1k6d3.jpg

NO, NO, NO!!!

Do Not apply adhesive of any kind to the actual MK Quick Release bracket.

ONLY, apply 5200 to the backer plate which will be mounted under the deck!

Quick release bracket on top of deck ONLY needs a Sealant,

Not an Adhesive.

Here's a clean pic of what I was referring to in my previous post.

Once you cut out the access hole, slide the backer plate up under the bottom lip of the anchor liner, grab it w/ other hand and wedge into place.

If memory serves me correctly, I guestimated where one of the outer holes would fall and pre-drilled 1 hole in the backer plate.

Tapped down my hole template, drilled deck, installed 1 bolt, drilled other 3 holes into backer plate, remove, clean, apply 5200, apply sealant to MK QR bracket, install bolts & snug down firmly.

MK%20QR%20Bracket%20Install_zpsqaw1k6d3.jpg

Okay, i misunderstood you. Thought you meant 5200 between mount and deck=yikes!!

I like your access plate location. My install was awful, took about 4 hours and had to take a picture and study the picture then work again, then repeat.

I used no adhesive in my mounting. Basically i competely misunderstood what you were saying and the need for the 5200, hence why i stated if an adhesive was neaded 4200 was probably a better solution. My bad :crazy:

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to get under and mount mine but I have long arms and it took forever. Also stay tuned for pics, I just removed my CC and am putting in a tower. Im gonna sell the CC, any suggestions on how much I should get for it? Its in great shape. Thanks guys... Also does your LT20 run bow heavy? I talked to skip lyshon and got the recommended prop power tech 3 blade... Its much better, and has lifted the bow, but still not 100%.

If you are mounting a quick release bracket I would not use 5200/4200, I would mount it dry.

The reason I say this is my dad recently got his 35' Cabo restored and when they were putting the fixtures and moldings back on (made of starboard just like the quick release) the guy in charge said if you put 5200 on them over time it draws the "moisture" out of the starboard and dries it out and it begins to crack. Which made since because all of the old fixtures were cracked and dried up and had 5200 on them. He said he did a test with it a while back. I don't remember how long exactly it took it to happen, not real quick but gradually over the years.

Just some food for thought.

If you are mounting a quick release bracket I would not use 5200/4200, I would mount it dry.

The reason I say this is my dad recently got his 35' Cabo restored and when they were putting the fixtures and moldings back on (made of starboard just like the quick release) the guy in charge said if you put 5200 on them over time it draws the "moisture" out of the starboard and dries it out and it begins to crack. Which made since because all of the old fixtures were cracked and dried up and had 5200 on them. He said he did a test with it a while back. I don't remember how long exactly it took it to happen, not real quick but gradually over the years.

Just some food for thought.

I would strongly disagree with dry mounting.

If dry mounted what is going to prevent any moisture or water from penetration into the coring material?

As previously recommended,

Backer plate w/ 5200 and marine silicone for top bolts for this type of install.

Archived