Repowering a 2000 MA 18.5

En Fuego

Considering repowering with a 150 Yam four stroke. My 2000 MA 18.5 came with a 2000 115 four stroke. I bought it in 2004 used. Sometime along the 12 years I have owned it I might have heard the transom was tweaked in later models to accommodate the weight and ride with the 150 four stroke.

Any issues with this year model and adding this engine I might regret? Maybe I was wrong. TIA

I have an 03', its rated for a 175, but have a 150 Vmax 2 stroke on my boat.

If I was to repower, I would go with a F175. The F175 is the same weight as F150 and there is SHO model, if its worth the extra money.

I think you will be fine with a 150, I would go with the max rated HP.

EDIT:

I just looked at this brochure, it says 1994-present is rated for 175.

http://www.mbcforum.com/brochures/maverick/1994-present_as_of_2007_18%275_Master_Angler.pdf

Funny thing about the F175. Mine is rated for the 175 too and I went to price one out at a few local places. ALL of them said the 175 was a waste and go with a F200 or a 150. They said the F175 was unproven and not worth it. I'd like to hang a new F200 on my 18. I bet she'd scream.

Thats interesting. My ***umption would be that the 150 175 and 200 are all about the same engine and parts, just have different ECU program. So I wonder what could be unproven? Only thing I would think is there's not many out there, so you don't hear much about it. It is an in between power option.

I would"t go with an F200 on my boat. Won't be able to insure, and having a new motor I will want insurance. It would haul some a@@, but so should a 175.

Mine is a 96 and it is rated for a 175. Currently running 150 and thats huge over the 115. Honeslty a 150 on an older MA is the least I would even consider. Heavy ***ers those MA's are.

When my time comes to repower I am going with a 175 I do beleive.

I have an 01, came up on a bad power head 4 years ago, and was gonna repower. Looked at all and narrowed down to 150 Etec and Opti --- until I found Hydrotec and got a new power head and performance mods for my Vmax-- old 150 now puts out 180. My boats sit perfect with the 2 stroke Vmax and I wasn't interested in any changes. If my current Vmax went I still would still try to stay 2 stroke and keep weight identical.

• 4 weeks later...

I just moved up to a 2000 18.5 with a 175hp HPDI Vmax and it's a sports car. With a 19 or 20 pitch 4 blade PowerTech it runs 25 mph at 2500 rpm, 35 mph at 3500. I've never experienced anything like it - quiet, smooth, stable and then you look down at your speed and can't believe what you are seeing - it is very cool. I'm guessing that fuel consumption will be good while running at those lower rpm's.

My take is that it's always nice to have extra power if you need it (big fishing buddies, full livewell, lots of gear, etc.) than to wish you had more hp. The only slight drawback is the squat (with battery/oil tank in stern hatch and jack plate) is more than I expected, but I think the weight difference between the 150 and 175 is usually minor. Moving the battery (and maybe the oil tank) to the console will probably help.

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers,

Bud

I'm at 55-56 w the redone head and a Merc mirage plus 21 w an inch taken out so 20. I dropped down to my mirage plus 19 this winter--- other prop needed to be re conditioned. I'm staying w the 19. Less top end, but just feels better at cruise and hole shot, but 51 is a stretch now.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived